This Pomegranate Margarita is a bit sweet, a little tart and absolutely perfect. This beautifully bright red and festive pomegranate cocktail is easy to make and one of my favorite margaritas hands down!
When it comes to margaritas, I have very strong feelings. I am kind of a
plain Jane purist. A classic margarita on the rocks with salt on the rim is usually my drink of choice.
That’s until I decided I wanted to make a “perfect for the holiday season” type of cocktail!
That’s how this colorful and super tasty drink came into my life. I have to admit, it’s been a love affair ever since. I am totally obsessed with this delicious pomegranate margarita!
On a trip to the supermarket during the cold weather months, I found the most beautiful pomegranates. Since the holidays were upon us, I decided that a bright jewel red pomegranate cocktail mixed with green limes were a must.
Since I love tequila, a pomegranate margarita seemed like the perfect drink for the season. A light and refreshing cocktail that was a bit tart with natural sweetness from the fruit. Nothing too sweet (it’s a cocktail not dessert!), and not too strong but with enough kick to make us feel like we were at a party.
Pomegranate Margarita Ingredients
besides the ingredients below, you will need ice. For exact amounts, check the printable recipe card below.
- Pomegranate Juice: I usually buy Pom. Keep it chilled in the fridge.
- Tequila: I usually make cocktails with tequila blanco, also known as silver tequila. I also make mixed drinks with tequila reposado, which is aged in oak barrels for as little as two months and up to a year.
- Triple Sec: Grand Marnier (orange liqueur) can also be used.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice is a must.
- Garnishes: Salt, pomegranate seeds, lime wedges.
How To Make Pomegranate Margaritas
- Salt the Rims: Pour a small amount of pomegranate juice in a small shallow bowl or plate. Spread the salt on a small plate. Moisten the outer edges of the glasses with the pomegranate juice, then coat with the salt.
- Mix: In a small pitcher mix the chilled pomegranate juice, tequila, triple sec and lime juice. Mix to combine.
- Serve: Fill margarita glasses with ice cubes, pour the pomegranate margarita and garnish with lime wedges and pomegranate seeds.
What Is The Best Tequila For This Margarita
I usually make margaritas with silver tequila or tequila blanco. Tequila reposado which is aged in oak barrels for as little as two months and up to a year, can also be used.
Salt For Margaritas
You can use coarse salt, coarse sea salt or Kosher salt for the rim of the glasses. If you want you can get the following salts:
- Lime Margarita Salt
- Pomegranate Pineapple Margarita Rim Salt
- Jalapeño Citrus Salt
- Exotic Cocktail Salt Collection (Habanero, Smoked Bacon, Himalayan Pink, Lime, Raspberry Chipotle)
Pomegranate Margarita Recipe Tips
- This cocktail is amazing just served as is however, it’s even better with salt on the rim. Sugar is also a great option if you like sweeter drinks.
- Adjust the ingredients to your taste. the beauty of making drinks at home is that you can adjust the flavors to your taste. More juice, less tequila, it’s all up to you.
- If this margarita is not sweet enough for you, you can add agave syrup or simple syrup.
Here Are Some Easy And Delicious Appetizers To Serve With This Amazing Tequila Cocktail:
- Easy Guacamole
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Queso Fundido
- Pico de Gallo
- Baked Brie in Puff Pastry (with Cranberries)
Take A Look At These Other Easy Cocktail Recipes:
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
The Best Pomegranate Margarita
- 1 1/2 cups chilled pomegranate juice plus extra for the glass rims
- Margarita Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 cups silver tequila
- 1 cup triple sec
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Ice Cubes
- Lime wedges
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pour a small amount of pomegranate juice in a small shallow bowl or plate. Spread the salt on a small plate. Moisten the outer edges of 4 margarita glasses with the pomegranate juice, then coat with the salt.
- In a small pitcher mix the 1 ½ cups of chilled pomegranate juice, tequila, triple sec and lime juice. Mix to combine.
- Fill margarita glasses with ice cubes, pour the pomegranate margarita and garnish with lime wedges and pomegranate seeds.