This classic Southern Sock It To Me Cake has a moist tender crumb, a ribbon of cinnamon pecan streusel in the middle and is drizzled with vanilla glaze. This rich and buttery bundt cake recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert and even as a snack!
If you are interested in other easy southern recipes, check the absolute best Shrimp and Grits recipe!
Sock It To Me Cake from Scratch
Break out your bunt pan and get ready to bake! Sock It To Me, the easy and scrumptious retro cake recipe is having a come back and I couldn’t be more ready!
This delicious and simple butter cake recipe made from scratch comes together quickly and is sure to become a family favorite. This rich bundt cake reminds me a bit of coffee cake with its flavorful streusel running through the middle of the moist cake. The sweet cinnamon, brown sugar, pecan filling ads texture and flavor while the pourable vanilla glaze adds sweetness and gives the cake a beautiful finish look.
Why Is This Cake Called Sock It To Me?
Sock It To Me was a catchphrase from “Laugh In”, a comedy sketch show popular in the seventies. For us who were not born or old enough to remember the 70’s, sock it to me means “give it to me”.
What Is Sock It To Me Cake Made Of?
This southern classic bundt cake was very popular during the seventies. It was mostly made with yellow cake mix and although I am not completely sure, I have heard that it was originally printed on the back of the Duncan-Hines Golden Cake Mix box.
Sock-It-To-Me Cake Ingredients
These are the ingredients to make the bundt cake, the nutty streusel and the sweet vanilla glaze.
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour
- Butter: I prefer using unsalted butter for baking.
- Eggs: I use large eggs.
- Sugar: You will need granulated sugar for the cake, brown sugar for the streusel and confectioners’ sugar for the glaze.
- Sour Cream: I use full-fat regular sour cream for ultimate richness and moisture.
- Salt and Baking Soda: Salt balances the sweet flavor and baking soda helps the cake rise when baked.
- Vanilla Extract: Use good quality vanilla extract or vanilla paste.
- Pecans: Roasted or toasted and chopped.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: Aka Powdered sugar, to make the glaze.
- Milk: To make the glaze. I use whole milk.
How To Make A Sock It To Me Cake
- Make the Streusel: Combine together the streusel ingredients.
- Prepare: preheat the oven and grease a bundt pan.
- Sift: Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Make the Cake Batter: Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add the flour mixture and sour cream alternately to the batter. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Bake: Pour half the batter into the bundt pan. Top with the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan streusel. Pour the remaining batter over and bake.
- Make Icing: Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add additional milk or sugar to get the right consistency.
- Glazing the Cake: Spoon the glaze over the cool cake.
Can You Make Sock It To Me Cake With A Boxed Cake Mix?
Yes! Although the recipe below is made from scratch, this cake can be made with golden butter or yellow cake mix.
How Many Boxes Of Cake Mix Are Needed
For a standard size bundt pan you will need one box of cake mix combined with 4 large eggs, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
What Size Of A Bunt Pan Do I Need?
To make this Sock It To Me Cake recipe, I use a regular 12-cup bundt cup. A 14-cup bundt pan can also be used.
Storage and Freezing
You can store the cake covered on the kitchen counter for 2 days or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This bundt cake freezes well. Store it in wrapped and in an airtight container in the freezer for 2 months. Thaw out and bring to room temperature before serving. I usually warm the cake for a few minutes in the microwave before serving.
Take A Look At These Muffin and Cake Recipes:
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Lemon Loaf
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Cake
- Raspberry Muffins
- Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Sock It To Me Cake Recipe
For the Filling:
- 1 cup pecans roasted/toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
- In a medium bowl combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and coat the inside of a (12 -cup) bundt pan with baking spray. You can also butter and then flour the pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter on medium-high speed for about 1 minute or until creamy.
- Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture and sour cream alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan, sprinkle the pecan filling evenly over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter over the pecan mixture.
- Bake for about 65 to 75 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to rest in the pan for about 10 minutes then, invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
For the Icing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add additional milk or sugar to get the right consistency.
- Spoon the icing over the cooled cake.
- This recipe uses a 12-cup bundt pan. A 14-cup bundt pan can also be used.
- Don’t over mix the batter. For a light and fluffy cake, the ingredients should be mixed only until just combined.
- When making the glaze, add additional milk or confectioners’ sugar until the right consistency is achieved.
- Instead of a glaze, you can simply dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar.
- For a nicer presentation, sprinkle toasted pecans over the glaze.