The iconic Cosmopolitan Martini cocktail is made with only four simple ingredients and makes the most beautiful and delicious drink. This Cosmopolitan cocktail has the perfect balance of fruity, tart and sweet without being overly sweet.
Martinis are the perfect cocktail to serve at dinner parties, celebrations, holidays and during happy hour. We love this Lemon Drop Martini recipe, this French Martini and this super fun Bikini Martini.
The Cosmopolitan Martini
The classic Cosmopolitan or Cosmo is an elegant, spirit-forward, refreshing and sophisticated drink made with vodka, cranberry juice, triple sec and fresh lime juice. This cocktail may not have any resemblance to the classic dry martini, yet a Cosmopolitan is a fun, crisp and tart drink perfect for any occasion.
What Is A Cosmopolitan Cocktail?
A Cosmopolitan, also referred as Cosmo, is a pink fruity cocktail made with vodka. The origin of this drink is somewhat uncertain. It’s credited to different bartenders from the 1970’s and1980’s, although the first reference to this mixed drink, comes from a gin, Cointreau, lemon, and raspberry syrup cocktail recipe published in a book in 1934.
The cosmopolitan gained popularity in the 1990’s when Carrie Bradshaw, the main character of the HBO show “Sex and the City”, made it her drink of choice. Quickly the Cosmo became the perfect girly drink!
Cosmopolitan Cocktail Ingredients
There are only 4 ingredients in a Cosmopolitan recipe.
- Vodka: Use good quality vodka. This may be a pink drink but it’s definitely not a girly drink. Having good quality vodka is a must!
- Triple Sec: Triple sec is a sweet, colorless, citrus flavored liquor.
- Cranberry Juice or Cranberry Juice Cocktail: If you’d like to add a little sweetness to your drink, use cranberry juice cocktail. Cranberry juice will add tartness and color, but very little sweetness.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice is a must! Nothing from a bottle can compare to the taste of fresh lime juice.
- Garnish: Lime or orange peel.
How To Make A Cosmopolitan
Crafting the perfect Cosmopolitan at home is incredibly easy. This martini recipe is straight forward and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or any special equipment.
- Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Pour through the strainer into chilled martini glasses.
Should I Use Cranberry Juice or Cranberry Juice Cocktail?
Choosing cranberry juice or juice cocktail is really a personal preference.
Cranberry juice is tart with a strong fruity taste. If you like martinis that aren’t sweet, then you want to use cranberry juice. The color is also more concentrated so your cocktail will be a more vibrant pink.
If you like your martini with a hint of sweetness, the cranberry juice cocktail is your best option. Cranberry juice cocktail has added sugar and a mild, less tart fruit taste.
How to Serve A Cosmo Martini
The best way to serve a cosmopolitan is in a chilled martini glass. If your glasses haven’t been chilling in the fridge, quickly chill them by pouring ice cubes and water into each glass. Allow the iced water to cool the glasses for about 5-8 minutes. Pour out the water and quickly dry the glasses before pouring your cocktail.
Garnish your cosmo martini with a citrus peel. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outer layer of a lime or orange trying not to get any of the white pith. The white pith is bitter and will add a bitter taste to your drink. Twist the citrus peel over the cosmo and drop it in. You can also rub the rim of the martini glasses with the peel.
Cosmopolitan Drink Recipe Tips
- You can use cranberry juice or cranberry juice cocktail. Check the sugar content of the juice you purchase. Cranberry juice is tart and not very sweet. Your cosmo will be tart and you may think it needs a little bit of simple syrup or agave syrup. Cranberry juice cocktail has added sugar and will give your cocktail a hint of sweetness.
- If you prefer even sweeter drinks, add additional cranberry juice cocktail.
- If you don’t have triple sec, you can use Cointreau, which is an orange flavored liqueur.
Take A Look At These Other Amazing Cocktail Recipes:
- Strawberry Lemonade Vodka Cocktail
- Lava Flow Drink
- Prickly Pear Margarita
- Pomegranate Margarita
- Kahlua Dalgona Whipped Coffee
- Raspberry Thyme Prosecco Punch
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
The Best Cosmopolitan Martini
- 1/2 cup vodka 4 ounces
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime or orange peel twist
- Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Pour through the strainer into chilled martini glasses.