This Lava Flow drink is a delicious and fun tropical cocktail made with pineapple, strawberries and coconut blended into the most refreshing and beautiful frozen drink.
If you are ever searching for cocktail drinks that are sure to impress your guests, this Lava Flow Cocktail is a must! This is one of those party drinks that will transport you to a tropical paradise just with one sip.
This refreshing tropical drink is super easy to make and taste like a fruity slushy with a hint of coconut rum, I don’t know about you but I think coconut rum drinks are the absolute best cocktails ever!
In case you want to make a non-alcoholic virgin Lava flow, I have provided you with a recipe. You can find it below under the regular alcoholic boozy version.
What is a Lava Flow Drink?
Lava Flow is a tropical cocktail very popular in Hawaii. It’s the type of drink served beach side or pool side and always comes garnished with sweet fresh fruit – and sometimes a paper umbrella. I actually don’t mind the paper umbrellas at all! This Hawaiian drink can be made with rum or made virgin without..
How To Make a Lava Flow Drink?
They key for making this Lava Flow recipe, is mixing the strawberries and rum (red ingredients) separate from the coconut and pineapple ingredients (white ingredients. This will help create the “lava effect” when you pour both mixes into the glass.
- First place the frozen strawberries, white rum and coconut rum in a blender. Process and pour the mixture in a serving glass or pitcher.
- Rinse or wash the blender – this is an important step. You need to get rid of the red mixture before mixing the other ingredients.
- Blend the pineapple juice, cream of coconut and crushed ice. Slowly pour this mixture over the strawberry mixture and see the magic happen! Frozen lava flowing like in a Hawaiian volcano drink!
Lava Flow Recipe Tips
- This recipe mixes two rums. White rum and coconut rum (Malibu Rum). You can use only white rum but the creamy delicious flavor of coconut rum is amazing!
- Pour the coconut mixture slowly into the glass to create that cool Hawaiian lava effect.
- This tropical drink recipe is best sip with a straw!
Take A Look A These Other Easy Cocktails:
- Bikini Martini
- Lemon Drop Cocktail
- Strawberry Lemonade Vodka Cocktail
- Pomegranate Margaritas
- Mango Margarita
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Lava Flow Drink (Cocktail)
- 4 ounces coconut rum
- 4 ounces white rum
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries
- 8 ounces pineapple juice
- 8 ounces cream of coconut
- 2 cups crushed ice
- pineapple slices and strawberries for garnishing (optional)
- In a blender, combine the coconut rum, the light rum, and frozen strawberries. Blend to a puree. Transfer to a clean container or pitcher.
- Wash the blender clean. Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the strawberry and rum mixture among 4 serving glasses. Slowly pour the pineapple coconut mixture into the glass.
- Garnish with pineapple slices and strawberries (optional)
Lava Flow Mocktail – Non Alcoholic
- 20 ounces pineapple juice divided
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries
- 16 ounces cream of coconut
- 1 cup crushed iced
- Pineapple slices and strawberries (optional)
- In a blender, combine 4 ounces of pineapple juice and frozen strawberries. Blend to a puree. You can add a little bit of extra liquid if needed (iced water is OK). Transfer to a clean container or pitcher.
- Wash the blender clean. Add the remaining 16 ounces of pineapple juice, the cream of coconut and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the strawberry mixture among 4 serving glasses. Slowly pour the pineapple coconut mixture into the glass. See it swirl!
- Garnish with a pineapple slices and strawberries (optional)
Leave a Review!