This Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette is made with a blend of oranges, grapefruit, avocado and spinach tossed in a super easy to make basil vinaigrette!
This Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette is fresh, bright and light. Just a few ingredients, no added calories but tons of flavor! Add some baked or grilled chicken and you have a wonderful dinner ready in no time!
This is definitely one of those dishes you can make in 15 minutes from start to finish while sipping a glass of wine and dreaming about a vacation in a tropical place.
Aren’t these colors just beautiful? It has been quite a transition and a challenge to get used to living in an area that has marked seasons. Yes, it is exciting to see the changes in colors, the leaves falling, the temperature fluctuations, and to be able to enjoy the snow but, some days I sure miss my almost-362-days-a-year of sunny skies and bright light and flip flops! So when the gray sky is about to get me, I try to make happy, bright food to bring the sunshine in!
Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
The basil vinaigrette is easy to make, delicious and versatile. The recipe makes about 3/4 cup of vinaigrette and that was more than enough for the salad. I used the remaining vinaigrette served over grilled chicken breast and it was amazing!! I think it would also work great as a topping for egg fritatta and steamed or saute fish.
Now let’s talk citrus, I give you a list of ingredients here, but by all means use whatever citrus you have available or like best. Think of the recipe as a guideline and then follow your inner citrus gut! (is that a thing?). Same with the greens – use whatever fresh lettuce mix you have available – spinach, baby romaine, butter lettuce, mizuna, escarole, whatever you like, whatever is fresh at the market.
I added avocado for creaminess and because I would put avocados on everything if I could! I love them! Not only they are nutrient dense (did you know they contain more potassium than bananas?) and are full of antioxidants but they are also filling and go incredibly well with the citrus and the basil.
- Love citrus? Take a look at this Salad of Roasted Beets, Peaches, Oranges and Mixed Greens with Orange Honey Vinaigrette with Crispy Goat Cheese Coins (yes, crispy fried cheese)
- To top this citrus salad with basil vinaigrette, I added toasted pistachios (I lightly toast my nuts to wake up their flavor) Feel free to use almond or cashews if you prefer.
- Serve this amazing salad with:
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
Grilled Chicken with the Best Balsamic Herb Vinaigrette
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
For the Basil Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 tangerines
- 1-2 avocados, peeled seeded and sliced
- 5 ounces baby greens (I used spinach and arugula)
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled and lightly toasted
- Salt and Pepper to taste
To Make the Vinaigrette
- Put the basil leaves, red wine vinegar and garlic cloves in a blender. Cover the blender and blend on high speed. You may need to stop and push the ingredients down with a spoon.
- Add the Dijon mustard and honey and blend until smooth. With the motor running on a lower speed, add the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To Make the Salad
- Carefully peel the citrus, removing as much pit as possible. Slice into wheels. Remove any seeds. Peel the tangerines and separate into segments.
- Arrange the salad greens on a platter or large bowl. Arrange the citrus and avocado slices on top. Top with pistachios and lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix with desire amount of vinaigrette.
Things you May Need