Last updated on March 25th, 2018 at 01:04 pm
These Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs are marinated in fresh lemon juice, garlic, basil, cilantro and spices. These oven baked chicken thighs are juicy and tender with a beautiful golden brown crispy skin. This easy and delicious chicken thigh recipe will become your favorite way of cooking chicken thighs!
The vibrant taste of lemon and the freshness of the herbs make these roasted chicken thighs out of this world delicious. The chicken is packed with so much flavor while the meat is still super juicy making this the best chicken thigh recipe!
When I was growing up, every year for my birthday my grandmother used to ask me what meal I wanted her to make on my special day. Since about the age of 10, I gave her the same answer – every single year! Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken! Of course, my grandma never wrote the recipe down! This easy chicken thigh recipe is the closest I have ever come to recreating her recipe.
How To Make Roasted Chicken Thighs
- For this particular simple chicken recipe, I marinate the chicken thighs in a delicious mixture of fresh lemon juice and herbs. Marinating time usually depends on how much time I have on my hands. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more flavorful the result. That being said – marinating 30 minutes at room temperature is better than no marinating time at all. You can also marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in a baking dish or roasting pan, skin side up and bake!
At What Temperature To Cook Chicken Thighs
- To get a golden crispy skin and tender and juicy chicken, I set the oven temperature at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Long to Cook Chicken Thighs?
- For perfectly oven baked chicken thighs, I cook the bone-in thighs for 35 to 40 minutes (depending on how crispy you like the skin).
- As per safety guidelines, bone in chicken thighs should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use an Instant-Read Thermometer to check the temperature.
- Even though I used bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe, you can use any other part of the chicken that you prefer. You can also use boneless and skinless chicken. Just adjust the cooking time as less time is required (about 10 minutes less).
- I usually put a second sheet pan full of veggies in the oven to cook at the same time. That way I have a complete meal by the time the chicken is out of the oven!
- You can also grill or pan sear the chicken instead of roasting it in the oven.
- Serve this dish with:
Jasmine Rice with Ginger and Lemongrass
Crispy Oven Baked Beets
Parmesan Herb Easy Skillet Potatoes
Grilled Vegetables and Couscous Salad
WANT TO TRY THESE LEMON AND HERB ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS?
PIN IT TO YOUR DINNER, CHICKEN OR MAIN DISH BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Marinating Time: 30 minutes to overnight
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste to lightly season the chicken
To prepare the marinade, in a food processor or blender combine the shallots, garlic cloves, basil, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth.
Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a large zip top bag or non-reactive container and pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix to combine making sure the chicken is coated evenly. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerated up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken in a sheet pan or baking dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
If your chicken is not golden to your likeness, you can turn on the broiler and broil for about 3-5 minutes.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!