Last updated on June 1st, 2019 at 09:42 pm
This Coleslaw recipe is crunchy, light and full of flavor! Easily made with a pre-shredded cabbage mix and tossed in creamy cilantro lime coleslaw dressing. This homemade coleslaw is the perfect side dish for summer parties, potlucks and barbecues.
Coleslaw is one of those popular and easy side dishes everyone is familiar with. Well, I must admit – I used to avoid coleslaw as much as possible. Every time I thought of coleslaw, the image of mayonnaise drenched, boring and borderline tasteless supermarket cole slaw came to mind.
Ingredients to Make This Coleslaw Recipe
- Pre-shredded Coleslaw Mix – This is my favorite shortcut however, you can make your own mix with green and purple cabbage and carrots
- Green Onions
Ingredients To Make Coleslaw Dressing
- Sour Cream
- Lime zest and juice
How To Make This Creamy Cilantro Lime Cole slaw
- Make the creamy coleslaw dressing by mixing sour cream, mayonnaise, freshly squeezed lime juice and the zest of a lime. Season it with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Place the coleslaw mix, green onions, jalapenos and cilantro in a bowl.
- Toss the cabbage mix with the creamy coleslaw dressing. Serve or refrigerate for later use.
Frequently Asked Questions about Coleslaw
- Can I make my own Coleslaw mix at home?
Of course! For this recipe you will need 6 to 7 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 carrot. You can use green cabbage or a combination of green and purple cabbage.
- How Do I Make Homemade Coleslaw?
To make your own cabbage mix, you can use a mandolin or a food processor fitted with the shredder blade. Both the mandolin and the food processor make the whole process easier, quicker and produce nice thin shreds. You can also chop the cabbage with a sharp knife. The cabbage will have a bit more texture.
- Can I make Cole Slaw ahead of time?
Yes,although coleslaw is crispier eaten a couple of hours after is made, this Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.
It is also a good idea to make the coleslaw dressing 2 to 3 days in advanced and to toss the slaw together with the dressing about an hour before serving. This guarantees a crunchy texture.
- Can I freeze Coleslaw?
I do not recommend freezing coleslaw. Raw cabbage doesn’t hold well in freezing temperatures.
- It is best to mix the coleslaw with the dressing one hour before serving so the flavors have time to develop and meld together.
- If you don’t like cilantro, use fresh parsley instead.
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY CILANTRO LIME COLESLAW?
PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR SALAD BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
For the Slaw
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix * see notes
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
For the Slaw Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (you want about 2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Slaw Dressings
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice and season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the slaw dressing and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- To make your own homemade coleslaw mix, you will need 6 to 7 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 carrot shredded.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!