Chicken Tortilla Soup loaded with shredded chicken, vegetables, tortilla strips and spices in a tasty tomato base. This mouthwatering hearty Tortilla Soup is the absolute best!
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of our family’s favorite soup recipes. This easy to make tortilla soup is infused with Mexican flavors and earthy spices like cumin and coriander. We love topping it with crispy tortilla chips, lots of shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, cilantro and limes. The toppings make this soup a filling and comforting meal.
What is Tortilla Soup Made of?
Tortilla soup is a classic Mexican soup made with a tomato or chicken base. There are many variations of this soup but corn tortillas is what gives this Mexican soup its distinct flavor and slight thickness. Some tortilla soup recipes include ingredients like diced tomatoes, corn and beans. Tortilla soup is usually made with shredded chicken although some recipes call for turkey, pork or beef. Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup gets its luscious creamy consistency with the addition of heavy cream.
How Do You Thickened Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla soup is thickened with corn tortillas. Cutting the tortillas into fairly thin strips allows the broth to be absorb quickly. The soft tortillas then release their starch, thickening the soup.
Masa Harina, the gluten free soft flour made from dried corn can be used as well.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil – You can use canola, avocado oil or vegetable oil.
- Onions – Brown, yellow or white onions diced.
- Celery – Large diced.
- Carrots – Peeled and large diced.
- Jalapenos – If you don’t like a lot of heat, remove the seeds and veins.
- Green Bell Peppers – Seeded and large diced.
- Garlic – I use fresh garlic.
- Crushed Tomatoes – You could use diced tomatoes but I really like the texture of crushed tomatoes for this Mexican soup.
- Chicken Broth – the recipe calls for low sodium although I often make it with regular stock.
- Shredded Chicken – I like using my Instant Pot chicken breasts recipe, rotisserie chicken or baking whole bone-in chicken breast in the oven.
- Corn Tortillas – I don’t fry the tortillas before adding it to the soup. I like to keep the soup on the healthy side. I prefer white corn tortillas.
- Fresh Cilantro – If you don’t like cilantro, use parsley instead.
- Seasonings and Spices: Salt, Cumin, Coriander, Dried Oregano
How To Make Tortilla Soup
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot and saute the onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper and jalapeno until the onions become soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and then the spices.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, tortilla strips and cilantro. Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with your favorite toppings.
Mexican Soup Tips and Notes
- Store the soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Make sure you cool the soup completely before storing it.
- You can make this easy soup with homemade chicken stock.
- You can make the soup extra spicy by using jalapenos without removing the veins. You can also add cayenne pepper if you like.
- Take a look at this recipe for homemade corn tortillas with step by step instructions.
- You can use leftover rotisserie chicken to make this soup.
- Check out these delicious soup recipes:
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (like Chili’s)
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Potato Corn Chowder
WANT TO TRY THIS CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE?
PIN IT TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery large diced
- 4 carrots peeled and large diced
- 1 small green bell pepper large diced
- 1 - 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth (2.5 qts)
- 4 heaping cups shredded chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 fresh white corn tortillas cut crosswise into about ½ inch strips
To Serve (Pick your favorites)
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- Shredded Cheese Cheddar, Pepper Jack or Mexican blend
- Tortilla Chips
- Sliced Avocado
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, green bell pepper and jalapeno. Sautee for about 5 - 6 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 –2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium low and stir in the oregano, cumin, coriander and salt. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add the shredded chicken, tortilla strips and the fresh cilantro. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot, top with sour cream or Mexican crema, shredded cheese, sliced avocado and tortilla chips. Garnish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro if desired.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!