Last updated on November 27th, 2017 at 01:48 am
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is bursting with flavor! Cheesy, creamy and full of shredded chicken, black beans and corn. With only 10 minutes of prep time this soup is pure comfort in a bowl!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is super cheesy and delicious. Inspired by Chili’s Enchilada Soup but without the processed cheese! This soup is definitely a crowd pleaser!
This is one of our family’s favorite soups. We make it as often as this Chicken Tortilla Soup. It has so much flavor and it’s really easy to make which is a big plus. The fact that I can make it in a crock pot is like icing on the cake. I can just set the slow cooker on high or low and have dinner ready when I need it.
Many years ago, the hubs introduced me to Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup. In my opinion, it is one of the best things on their menu (not that I have had everything on their menu!). I instantly fell in love with it and decided to recreate it at home.
I found many copycat recipes online and according to their reviews, it seemed they were all very close to the original. All included processed cheese. I decided to switch the cheese and add a few other ingredients to make it my own. I can say for certain this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is super flavorful and we do not miss the restaurant version at all!
- This recipe calls for Masa Harina. Masa is a soft flour made from ground dried corn that has been cooked and soaked in a diluted solution of “limewater” (calcium hydroxide). This alkaline solution is what gives masa it’s distinct light sour flavor. Masa is the main ingredient in corn tortillas and tamales.
- To build layers of flavor, I quickly cook onions, jalapenos and garlic in a sauté pan. This process takes about 5 minutes and makes a big difference in developing flavor.
- Mix the masa with water and whisk it together until you get rid of the lumps. If you pour dry masa into the slow cooker without diluting it, you may end up with a lumpy soup.
- Garnishes are optional but they do add to the flavor and the restaurant quality we are going for!
- We love soup every month of the year! Here are a few of our favorites:
Potato Corn Chowder
Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Crema
Italian Tomato Tortellini Soup
Ginger and Turmeric Carrot Soup
- You can use homemade chicken stock or store bought. Here’s my recipe for Basic Chicken Stock. Homemade is always best and has the best flavor. Make it in big batches and freeze it for later use!
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP?
PIN IT TO YOUR SOUP OR SLOW COOKER BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is bold in flavor! Cheesy, creamy and full of shredded chicken, black beans and corn. With only 10 minutes of prep time this soup is pure comfort in a bowl!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water, divided
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (19-ounces) can red enchilada sauce (mild)*
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can stewed tomatoes**
- 4 cups chicken stock (homemade or store bought)
- 1 (14 ounces) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounces) can corn kernels, drained (or frozen corn if you prefer)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped onions
- Sour cream
Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium high heat, add the onions and jalapeño and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk the masa harina with 2 cups of water until well combined making sure you don't have any lumps. Set aside.
Place the chicken in the slow cooker, sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the onion mixture, enchilada sauce, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock, the remaining 1 cup of water, the masa harina mixture, black beans and corn. Stir, place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Shred the chicken with two forks. Add the cheese and mix well until all the cheese has melted. Check for seasoning and add more salt, if needed. Add chopped cilantro (optional) and mix well.
Serve hot with desired garnishes.
* Get the mild enchilada sauce unless you can handle "fuego" type heat.
**Use Mexican recipe stewed tomatoes, if available. Otherwise original recipe is fine. If you can't find stewed tomatoes you can use crushed tomatoes instead.
Nutrition facts do not include toppings!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Things You May Need