This creamy Beer Cheese Dip recipe is flavored to perfection with lager beer (or brown ale), mustard and a hint of garlic. This pub-style beer cheese dip is the perfect quick and easy appetizer to serve with homemade soft pretzels, chips or bread.
I am always looking for recipes that are easy to whip up in very little time. My boys seem to think I run some kind of restaurant at home. They are always requesting new dishes or familiar favorites.
Some days, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time cooking. This beer cheese dip is a delicious appetizer I can always make at the last minute and with very little effort. It doesn’t get any better than that!
Beer Cheese Dip
This warm homemade cheese dip will transport you to your favorite pub, brewery or restaurant without having to leave your house!
Besides delicious, this beer dip can be customized to your taste – actually you can customize it by using ingredients you already have at home.
- Beer: You can use a pale ale, brown ale and even Guinness to make this cheesy appetizer! A lighter beer will produce a mild cheese dip. For a robust flavor, use a darker beer.
I have made this beer dip with apple beer and pumpkin beer during fall season and I must say, the flavor was amazing!
- Cheese: You can use shredded cheddar cheese, Gruyere, Fontina, Gouda or any kind of melting cheese you love. A combination of cheeses is always a good idea! It is best to shred the cheese from a block instead of buying pre-shredded cheese. The latter doesn’t melt as well.
- Seasonings: Try using Dijon mustard and switch up the spices. Smoked paprika adds a bit of smoky flavor and cayenne pepper is a great addition if you like a little heat!
How To Make Beer Cheese Dip
- Make a Roux: In a saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in the flour. Mix to make a smooth paste.
- Add the Liquids: Whisking constantly, add the beer slowly. Then whisk in the milk in a slow and steady stream. Continue whisking until the mixture slightly thickens.
- Add Flavorings: One by one stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
- Add Cheese: Remove from the heat and immediately add the shredded cheese. Stir until evenly incorporated. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
You have questions? We have answers!
What To Serve With Cheese Dip?
This pub-style cheese dip is often referred as pretzel dipping sauce because soft pretzels and cheese sauce are seriously a match made in heaven! Besides warm buttery soft pretzels, I like to serve this pub dip with crispy hard pretzels, veggies (celery, roasted fingerling potatoes, blanched green beans), apple slices, crackers, artisan bread and tortilla chips, pita chips or pita bread.
Beer Cheese Dip Recipe Tips
- Shred the cheese from a block of cheese for best results. Pre shredded cheese has additives that prevents the cheese from clumping up, changing the way the cheese melts naturally.
- To keep the melted cheese dip warm for long periods of time, I keep it on the warm setting in a slow cooker/crock pot.
- This easy appetizer recipe is a great dip to serve during Oktoberfest.
- Add green chiles and chopped tomatoes to turn this cheesy dip into a robust Tex Mex queso dip!
Take A Look At These Other Appetizer Ideas:
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Beer Cheese Dip
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir until a smooth paste forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the beer while whisking constantly.
- In a slow and steady stream, whisk in the milk. After all the milk is added, continue whisking until the mixture slightly thickens, about 1 minute.
- One by one stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the shredded cheese. Stir until evenly incorporated. Season the cheese sauce with salt and ground black pepper to taste.