Avocado Hummus – this easy to make homemade hummus is creamy, smooth and so tasty! This hummus recipe is made in 10 minutes and can be used as a spread for sandwiches or for dipping veggies, pita chips and crackers.
Ingredients to Make Avocado Hummus
- Avocado – Using ripe avocados is key for a flavorful and super creamy hummus dip. Make sure you pick avocados that are ready to be eaten but not overly ripe with dark spots.
- Chickpeas – Hummus purist will say the only way to make the best hummus is by soaking and cooking dried chickpeas. I respectfully disagree. Canned chickpeas produce great results with less work. I am all about less work these days!
- Tahini – Buy good quality tahini as it is the most predominant flavor in any hummus.
- Lemon Juice – Nothing compares to the flavor of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Olive Oil – I love the fruitiness of extra virgin olive oil but any other olive oil can be use.
- Cilantro – Fresh chopped cilantro is always the perfect pair for avocados. If you don’t like cilantro, use fresh parsley instead.
- Cold Water – Water is incredibly helpful in trying to reach the perfect hummus consistency.
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
How To Make Avocado Hummus
This simple and fresh hummus recipe is so easy to make. Make sure you gather all your ingredients first as the whole process takes less than 10 minutes!
- Place the chickpeas, avocado, tahini, cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and water in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth. You may need to add extra water to reach the perfect creamy consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hummus
- Can I freeze hummus?
Yes, you can freeze hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- How Long will hummus last?
Homemade hummus will last properly stored in an airtight container in thedairy free. refrigeration for 3 to 5 days.
- Can I use a mini food processor to make this recipe?
You need a standard size food processor (6 cups minimum) to make this recipe.
- Is hummus healthy?
Hummus is incredibly nutritious and a great source of plant-based protein. Avocado hummus contains heart-healthy ingredients and is naturally gluten-free, grain free and dairy free which makes it a great option for people with dietary restrictions.
Tips and Notes about this Hummus Recipe
- You can garnish your homemade hummus with chopped avocado, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
- Add some additional ingredients to make this hummus recipe your own. Here are some ideas – add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 chopped jalapeno and 2 garlic cloves!
- I use 2 avocados for this recipe. If your avocados are not very ripe, you may need to add additional water to the recipe. Add one tablespoon at a time until you reach a smooth and creamy dip consistency.
- I have made this recipe many times with both large and smaller avocados. Both work.
- Check my recipe for Baba Ganoush, another easy Middle Eastern appetizer!
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY AVOCADO HUMMUS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR APPETIZER, DIP OR SNACK BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Creamy Avocado Hummus
- 1 (15-ounces) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into big chunks
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (or use about half of a bunch or less)
- 2 tablespoons water (plus more if needed)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to add extra water (one tablespoon at the time) to reach the proper consistency (creamy/dip).Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Spoon the hummus into a serving bowl and serve.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!