Last updated on October 10th, 2018 at 06:42 pm
This Chicken Shawarma Wrap is bursting with flavor! With only a few spices you can make the most delicious Chicken Shawarma recipe at home. Wrap it in pita bread with a few fun toppings and you’ll have the best chicken wrap ever!
I love recipes that pack a lot of flavor with very little effort. This shawarma recipe is delicious and very easy to make. You can cook the chicken either in the oven or on the grill with amazing results. Enjoy this restaurant favorite at home, any time – no takeout needed!
Although we love making Chicken Shawarma wraps, this chicken is so tasty that I often serve it by itself, on top of salads or with some rice pilaf and vegetables. It is always a big hit with family and guests.
What is Shawarma?
True shawarma (also spelled shawerma) is cooked by stacking spice-marinated meats on a vertical spit, like a roaster. While the meat rotates, it gets basted with fat while it cooks for hours and hours. Definitely not something to be done at home unless you are a spit master! It can be made with lamb, chicken, turkey, beef and veal. Then it is usually shaved and served inside pita bread.
Chicken Shawarma Wraps
My version of this Middle Eastern restaurant and street food favorite combines everyday spices in the tastiest marinade ever! Cumin, paprika, all spice, garlic powder, turmeric and a pinch of cinnamon are combined with olive oil and lemon juice. You can add cayenne pepper for a little heat. Although I use chicken breast for this recipe, chicken thighs work as well. I like to marinate the chicken for at least an hour but the longer you marinate the better.
When it comes to the toppings for this healthy Chicken Shawarma Wrap, the sky is the limit! My husband likes to keep his wrap fairly simple by placing slices of chicken shawarma on pita bread and topping it with Greek Tzatziki Sauce. I love to pile mine high with all the veggies, hummus and a simple lemon vinaigrette.
Here are some topping ideas:
Shredded lettuce, sliced onions, sliced cucumbers, avocado, Kalamata olives, sliced radishes, bell peppers, jalapenos, chopped mint leaves, chopped parsley, hummus, Feta cheese, garlic sauce.
- This Chicken Shawarma recipe is excellent for entertaining! You can marinade and cook the chicken ahead. Simply re-heat it in the oven or serve it at room temperature.
- Pita pockets are a great choice for little (and messy) hands. Also, gluten-free and low carb pitas are readily available in most markets. Lettuce leaves are a great option as well if you are following a low carb or Keto diet.
- Don’t want to make a wrap? Serve this delicious chicken shawarma with Moroccan Rice Pilaf (West Via Midwest)
WANT TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN SHAWARMA WRAP?
PIN IT TO YOUR SANDWICH OR DINNER BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Chicken Shawarma Wrap (Oven Roasted or Grilled)
For the Chicken
For the Wrap and Toppings
- 4-6 pita or flat bread
- 8 ounces hummus, store bought or homemade
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Parsley and mint roughly chopped
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Lemon wedges, optional
For the Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl or a large Ziploc bag, add the olive oil, water, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, cayenne (optional) and black pepper. Add the chicken. Cover or seal and marinate for at least 20 minutes (marinate overnight for fullest flavor)
- If grilling, heat the grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Grill the chicken for about 8-10 minutes per side or until lightly charred and cooked through, turning once. Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest, covered for 5 minutes. Slice.
- If baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, place the chicken into a baking dish. Bake in the oven for about 35 -45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the oven and let it rest covered for about 5 minutes. Slice.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients.
- To assemble, warm up the pita or flat bread (you can use the grill, grill pan, oven or toaster oven). Spread each piece of bread with hummus, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado (optional), parsley, mint and feta cheese. Drizzle with the simple lemon vinaigrette. Top with the shawarma chicken.
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!