Thick slices of crisp-tender Roasted Cauliflower Steaks are the perfect plant-based side dish or main dish for veggie lovers! Seasoned with a simple homemade seasoning mix and oven roasted until perfectly tender and golden brown, these cauliflower steaks are served with the best Lemon Tahini dressing for extra flavor!
Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steak Recipe
A lightly charred, fork tender, roasted cauliflower steak with caramelized crispy edges, is a great side dish or main course to have when you are craving a healthier and lighter meal. Drizzle it with a bright and tangy lemon tahini dressing and you are in veggie heaven!
We are all familiar with the popularity of cauliflower rice, the “blank canvas” side dish that takes on whatever flavor you are pairing it with. Thick cauliflower steaks on the other hand, can be seen as incredibly plain and boring in comparison. But, besides having infinite possibilities when it comes to seasonings, cauliflower steaks get most of their flavor from the high-heat roasting process.
Oven roasting is the easiest way to enhance the flavor of most vegetables. The high heat roasting process caramelizes the natural sugars of the vegetable, bringing out its natural sweetness. The simple process of dry heat roasting, transforms bland cauliflower slices into sublime, sophisticated, richly satisfying, taste-buds tantalizing, irresistibly crispy-licious and absolutely best cauliflower steaks.
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Cauliflower Recipe?
- Versatility: There are so many different ways to season and serve cauliflower steaks. Lemon zest and chili powder. Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Chimichurri sauce for serving. The possibilities are endless.
- Serve it as Appetizer/Side Dish/Main Dish/Lunch: The versatility of cauli steaks continues. Serve cauliflower steaks as a light appetizer with a flavorful sauce. As a tasty side dish with your favorite protein. As a vegetarian main course, instead of a traditional steak. As part of a hearty salad for lunch!
- Healthy: Cauliflower is a nutrient dense vegetable loaded with antioxidants and high in fiber. This healthy cauliflower steak recipe is vegan, gluten-free and low-carb.
Cauliflower Steaks Ingredients
Just a few simple ingredients make this dish extraordinary! For exact quantities, check the recipe card below.
- Fresh Cauliflower: We use a dense and large head of cauliflower, cut into thick steaks.
- Oil: We use extra-virgin olive oil, but avocado oil can also be used. Be generous with the oil and make sure the tops of the steaks are well coated with oil. An even, light coat of oil is essential for the caramelization process. Dry spots of cauliflower tend to burn instead of turning golden brown.
- Paprika: We used sweet paprika. Smoked paprika also adds a nice flavor to this dish.
- Garlic: We used garlic powder.
- Salt and Black Pepper: I prefer sea salt or Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Optional Lemon Tahini Dressing (for serving)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh garlic clove
- Plain yogurt
- Honey or maple syrup.
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
How to choose the right cauliflower?
To make cauliflowers steaks, it’s best to choose a large and densely-packed cauliflower head that is heavy for it’s size and is completely free from blemishes.
How to cut cauliflower into steaks?
- Remove the cauliflower’s outer leaves.
- Cut the bottom stem so the cauliflower can sit flat on the cutting board. You want to leave the core intact.
- Cut the cauliflower head in half, right through the middle.
- Cut thick slices of about 1 inch to 1.5 inches from each half. Thick slices will prevent the cauliflower steaks from burning. Reserve any small cauliflower pieces for another use.
How to Make Cauliflower Steaks? (step by step)
For detailed instructions and cooking times on how to make roasted cauliflower steaks, check the printable recipe card below.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove the outer leaves of each cauliflower head and with a sharp knife cut the bottom stem off so the cauliflower can sit flat on your cutting board.
- Place the cauliflower flat base down on the cutting board and slice cauliflower in half lengthwise through the center.
- Cut two steak-like slabs from each half. You can reserve the loose florets for another use or you can roast them in a separate baking tray.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in a small bowl.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, You can brush the oil with a silicone brush or drizzle the oil and season with the spice mix on both sides.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then gently flip the cauliflower steaks and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and deeply golden brown.
How to Make the Lemon Tahini Dressing?
- To make the delicious tahini dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
How thick do you cut cauliflower steaks?
To make sure that cauliflower steaks don’t get burned in the oven, it’s best to cut them 1-inch to 1.5-inches thick.
What to serve with cauliflower steaks?
If you are serving these as a main dish for vegetarians, some roasted potatoes and green beans make for a very delicious meal. As a side dish, you can pair them with Baked Chicken Legs, Instant Pot Beef Brisket or Oven Baked Honey Ginger Salmon.
Storing and Reheating
How to store roasted cauliflower steaks?
Store leftover cauliflower steaks in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat cauliflower steaks?
The best way to reheat leftover roasted cauliflower steaks is on a baking sheet pan in a preheated 350ºF oven until warm through. Another option is to reheat in the microwave until warm through.
Roasting Cauliflower Steaks Tips for Success
- Cut the cauliflower into thick steaks of about 1-inch to 1.5-inch to prevent them from burning while in the oven.
- If you have any leftovers, you can use them to make breakfast hash, add it to casseroles or to make roasted cauliflower salad!
- You can substitute tahini with almond butter. The flavor and consistency of the dressing won’t be the same, but it will still be delicious.
- The tahini dressing can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
- A large whole cauliflower head yields approximately 4 steaks.
- Leftover cauliflower florets can be roasted separately or can be placed in a food processor to make cauliflower rice.
- Cooking times may vary depending on how thick you cut each steak. The cauliflower steaks are done when they can be easily pierced with a fork and they look golden brown.
Take a look at these other easy recipes:
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Caprese
- Cauliflower Gratin
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 large whole heads of cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt (or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini well stirred
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more to taste
- 1 small garlic clove grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove the outer leaves of each cauliflower head and cut the bottom stem off so the cauliflower can sit flat on your cutting board. Keep the core intact.
- Place the cauliflower stem-side down on the cutting board and with a large sharp knife, cut the cauliflower in half lengthwise through the center.
- Cut two 1-inch steaks from each half. You can reserve the smaller florets for another use or you can roast them in a separate sheet pan. Repeat the process with the other cauliflower head. The total number of steaks you get will depend on the size of the cauliflower. Usually you can get 8 steaks from 2 large cauliflowers.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in a small mixing bowl.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a single layer on the baking sheet pan, drizzle or brush one side with oil and season with the spice mix. Flip the cauliflower steaks and repeat, drizzling the oil and seasoning with the spice mix.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then gently flip the cauliflower steaks and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and deeply golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with the tahini dressing.
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. Reserve until ready to use.
Leave a Review!