Last updated on October 10th, 2018 at 07:06 pm
Instant Pot Brisket – the easiest, quickest and most delicious beef brisket recipe! This tender, melt in your mouth BBQ brisket is sure to become one of your favorite instant pot recipes ever!
This beef brisket recipe starts with a simple dry rub, it is quickly seared in the instant pot and then cooked smothered in the most delicious and easy homemade BBQ sauce! Definitely a pressure cooker recipe you will make over and over again.
The juicy and incredibly tasty meat is fork tender and totally addicting! Trust me, it was hard not to keep eating it while slicing it.
I like to serve this instant pot brisket stuffed in a soft roll (yes, to the best brisket sandwich ever!!) and also sliced alongside this Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw , Garlic and Herb Cheesy Smashed Potatoes, and a big sliced of this Skillet Jalapeno Cheddar Sweet Potato Cornbread. Now that is what I call the perfect supper!
What is Brisket?
- Brisket is a tough cut of beef that comes from the breast of the animal. It is one of the most inexpensive cuts of beef and when cooked properly it becomes tender and is incredibly tasty.
- A whole brisket has two parts. The flat and the point or deckle.
- The flat is the leanest part, and most available at supermarkets. The point or deckle has a bit more marbling. The marbling helps in keeping the meat juicy, making this part of the brisket the one preferred by most pit masters.
How To Make Instant Pot Brisket
- For this recipe you can use either part of the brisket – the flat or the point/deckle. I could only find the flat at my local market so that is what I used.
- Trim some of the excess fat from the brisket. If you use the flat – the leanest part – make sure you don’t remove all of the fat. The fat helps to keep the meat juicy.
- If needed, cut the brisket in 2 smaller pieces that will comfortably fit in your instapot.
- Rub the spice mix all over the brisket. At this point you can cook your brisket or wrap it and let it sit refrigerated for up to 24 hours. I must admit I never do this. I am always in a rush to cook my brisket in the pressure cooker!
- Mix the BBQ sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Turn the instant pot to “saute” and sear the meat on both sides, until browned.
- Add the garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Turn the pressure cooker to “warm/cancel”. Add the broth, BBQ sauce and mix to combine.
- Set the instant pot to “meat” and set the timer for 90 minutes.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then do a quick release.
- Remove the beef brisket for the pressure cooker. Let it rest, covered for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot to “saute” and reduce the BBQ sauce for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Slice the brisket and served with the BBQ sauce.
- Smoking a 4 lb brisket takes at least 4.5 hours. This Instant Pot Brisket cooks in 90 minutes!
- If you love brisket, take a look at my mouthwatering and super tender Beer Braised Beef Brisket Recipe (with Vegetables). It is the ultimate comfort food dish!
- Serve this beef brisket recipe with Maple Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Things you may need
WANT TO TRY THIS INSTAPOT BBQ BRISKET?
PIN IT TO YOUR INSTANT POT, DINNER OR BBQ BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Instant Pot Brisket - the easiest, quickest and most delicious beef brisket recipe! This tender, melt in your mouth BBQ brisket is sure to become one of your favorite instant pot recipes ever!
- 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
In a small bowl, mix all the rub ingredients.
Season the brisket all over with the rub. If you have time, let it sit in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic for up to 24 hours.
In a medium bowl, mix all the BBQ sauce ingredients.
Turn the instant pot/pressure cooker to "saute". Add the oil and allow it to get hot. Add the brisket to the pot and sear both sides for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, making sure the garlic doesn't burn.
Press the keep warm/cancel button on the instant pot. Add the broth and the BBQ sauce. Toss well making sure the meat is well coated. Close the lid. Set the instant pot to meat/stew and set the timer to 90 minutes.
Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes. Then do a quick release for the remaining pressure.
Transfer the brisket to a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil and let the meat rest for about 5 minutes.
Turn the instant pot/pressure cooker to "saute" and cook/reduce the sauce for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring a few times. Press the warm/cancel button.
Slice the beef brisket against the grain and serve with the BBQ sauce. You can also returned the sliced brisket to the instant pot making sure the slices are covered with the sauce (to prevent the meat from drying). Keep it warm until ready to serve.
- If your brisket is too big, cut it in half so it fits comfortably into the instant pot.
- I cut my brisket into 2 pieces and seared it one piece at a time not to over crowd the pot.
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!