Cauliflower Fried Rice is a lighter, low-carb and healthier alternative to traditional Chinese fried rice. Made with cauliflower rice, vegetables, eggs and seasonings, this one pot meal is as tasty as the real take out favorite!
The first time I tried cauliflower fried rice I could not believe how delicious it was and how much it tastes like restaurant fried rice. In this easy to make Asian style dish, cauliflower florets substitute white rice, making this a veggie-filled, grain-free dish full of flavor!
This easy to make Asian style dish can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. Serve it with this tasty Beef with Broccoli or with this lighter and Easy Orange Chicken.
How To Make Cauliflower Rice
Making cauliflower rice at home is super easy and budget friendly. In just a few steps, you can “rice” cauliflower in no time.
- Rinse the cauliflower and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower resembles grains of rice. You can also grate the cauliflower florets with a box grater. Use the medium size or large holes.
Ingredients To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
This cauliflower recipe uses very simple ingredients. Cauliflower, Carrots, Peas, Scallions, Ginger, Garlic, Eggs, Soy Sauce (tamari or coconut aminos if you want to keep it gluten-free), roasted sesame oil, and vegetable oil (canola oil, coconut oil or avocado oil can be used).
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Heat some of the vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic.
- Add the peas and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice and mix well.
- Lower the heat and cover. Cook until the cauliflower is tender.
- Uncover and season with soy sauce and sesame oil.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs.
- Create a well in the middle of the wok or skillet and pour the remaining oil. Add the eggs into the well.
- Stir the eggs to scramble.
- Once the eggs are cooked, stir in the scallions and mix together. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe Tips
- Use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce to make this a gluten-free dish.
- Stir in 1 to 2 cups of cooked shrimp, cooked chicken or diced tofu into the wok to add some additional protein.
- Since cauliflower only takes about 5 to 7 minutes to become tender, this healthy side dish is much quicker to make than traditional stir fry rice.
- Cauliflower stir fry keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days. It also reheats well.
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower (about 3 – 4 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots, (or fresh peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1/2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 – 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- With a knife, remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower. Rinse and pat dry and cut into large florets. Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the cauliflower using the large holes of a box grater, or chop it with a knife.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds or until fragrant but not browned.
- Add the peas and carrots and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine. Cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove the lid and add the soy sauce and toasted sesame oil and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Create a well in the middle of the wok or skillet and pour the remaining vegetable oil. Add the eggs into the well and stir the eggs to scramble. Once the eggs are cooked, mix to combine. Stir in the scallions and mix together. Season with salt and pepper and additional soy sauce, if needed.
- You can use 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots, thawed out.
- You can lightly season the eggs with salt and pepper before scrambling.
Leave a Review!