Last updated on May 27th, 2018 at 10:59 pm
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is an easy and simple side dish inspired by street corn (Mexican Corn on the Cob). With the perfect blend of flavors – smoky, tangy and sweet with a hint of spice. This Mexican Corn Salad is always a big hit!
Roasted corn, jalapenos, onions, cilantro and Cotija cheese are tossed in a creamy lime-infused dressing. Trust me, the combination of flavors is pure perfection!
Just like this super easy and tasty Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad, this Mexican corn salad is not only perfect served as a side dish any day of the week, but also a great make-ahead dish to serve at parties, BBQs or potlucks.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
This roasted corn salad is inspired by “Elotes” – the Mexican street version of corn on the cob. Elotes are delicious! Grilled corn is slathered in Mexican crema and mayonnaise, rolled in Cotija cheese and then seasoned with spices and fresh cilantro.
Crema and Cotija Cheese
Crema is often referred to as the “Mexican Sour Cream”. Although crema is a bit lighter and milder in flavor, I often substitute one for the other. Crema is readily available in most supermarkets but if you have sour cream handy, feel free to use it for this recipe.
Cotija cheese is a hard and crumbly cow’s milk cheese. It is named after the town of Cotija in Michoacan, Mexico. Good substitutes for Cotija cheese are Feta cheese and the more mild Queso Fresco.
How To Roast Corn
- In a Cast Iron Skillet: Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the corn kernels in a single layer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook until the corn is charred.
- You can use frozen corn as well. Just thaw out the corn and follow the instructions above.
- On the Grill: Shuck and clean the corn. You don’t have to worry about removing every piece of silk as it will burn on the grill. Heat your grill to medium hot. Place the corn directly on the grill. Grill turning occasionally for about 10 minutes or until charred and cooked through.
- If pressed for time, use canned roasted corn. Drain it and you are done!
Can I make this Mexican Corn Salad Ahead?
I love recipes that make entertaining easy. This Mexican Street Corn Salad can be make ahead and for me that is a huge plus! The salad already tossed with the dressing keeps well, refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days. The creamy dressing by itself will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.
WANT TO TRY THIS MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR SALAD OR SIDE DISH BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 2 12 ounces bags frozen corn, thawed or 5 to 6 ears of fresh corn
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese cut into small cubes
To Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients. Set aside or refrigerate, covered in an airtight container until ready to use.
Roast The Corn (skip this step if using canned roasted corn)
- METHOD #1: In a Cast Iron Skillet or Regular Skillet (frozen corn)
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the corn kernels in a single layer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook until the corn is charred. You may have to repeat this process until all the corn is nicely charred.
- METHOD #2: On a grill (on the cob)
- Shuck and clean the corn. You don't have to worry about removing every piece of silk as it will burn on the grill.
- Heat your grill to medium high. Place the corn directly on the grill. Grill turning occasionally for about 10 minutes or until charred and cooked through.
- In a large bowl, mix the roasted corn, green onions, red onions, jalapeno, cilantro and cheese. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Serve.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!