This Mexican Chopped Salad is loaded with fresh veggies and chickpeas tossed in a simple and flavorful Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. Topped with tender spiced rub BBQ chicken and tortilla strips, this easy Mexican salad is a complete meal!
This easy to make Mexican chopped salad with BBQ chicken is vibrant, colorful, healthy and very filling. This is the perfect salad to serve as a meal for family dinners especially during the summer.
If you prefer to keep this chopped salad vegetarian, simply skip the chicken. The chickpeas add nutritious protein and heartiness to this delicious and fresh salad recipe and I can guarantee you won’t miss the meat protein!
Mexican Chopped Salad
This tasty summer salad is packed with fresh ingredients. Crispy romaine, sweet corn, red onions, juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado and chopped cilantro all compliment the garbanzo beans perfectly!
The Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
The simple and easy to make cilantro lime vinaigrette has only 4 ingredients, yet delivers lots flavor. The citrus and herb vinaigrette is light and flavorful and can be mixed easily in a mason jar. A quick shake is all you need to make this tasty vinaigrette.
The BBQ Chicken
Flavor packed spiced rub chicken breast is cooked until tender and juicy and then smothered in smokey sweet BBQ sauce. Seriously finger-licking good!
You can cook the chicken indoors using a skillet or you can grill the chicken outdoors. If you prefer grilling the chicken indoors simply use a grill pan.
Is This An Authentic Mexican Salad Recipe?
No, this is not an authentic Mexican recipe. This is a Mexican style recipe similar to salads restaurants serve in Southern California. You can call it SoCal-Mex if you wish (although I just made that up!)
Can I Use Other Types Of Beans Instead of Garbanzo Beans?
Absolutely! Black beans or butter beans are a great addition to this chopped green salad.
Mexican Salad Recipe Tips
- To save time use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce.
- Customize the salad to your taste and use the veggies you have at home! Red bell peppers and cucumbers are a great addition to this chopped Mexican salad.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- You can season the chicken with the spice rub ahead of time. Keep the chicken in the fridge.
- The vinaigrette can be made 2-3 days ahead. Keep it refrigerated in an sealed container.
- If you want to keep this chopped salad recipe vegetarian, serve it as a side salad with flour tortillas or as a side dish with tacos, quesadillas, burritos or enchiladas.
Check Out These Other Recipes:
- Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- Mexican Three Bean Salad
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
This post was first published in 2017 and has been updated to provide the reader with additional information. The recipe remains the same.
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Mexican Chopped Salad with BBQ Chicken
For the Chicken
For the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 4 heaped cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (if frozen, thawed – if canned, drained)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 + tortilla strips
To Make the Chicken
- In a small bowl mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chile powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. If you have time you can let it marinade for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- If cooking the chicken on the stove top: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- If Cooking on the Grill: Brush the grill with the remaining oil. Grill the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it. Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
To Make the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl whisk all the ingredients together. Or place all the ingredients in a lidded jar and shake well. Set aside
- Place the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions and garbanzo beans into a large salad bowl. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add the avocado and toss gently. Add more vinaigrette if need it.
- Top with sliced chicken. Garnish with tortilla strips and chopped cilantro. Drizzle some BBQ sauce on top if desired. Serve