This Coleslaw recipe is crunchy, light and full of flavor! Easily made with a pre-shredded cabbage mix and tossed in creamy cilantro lime coleslaw dressing. This homemade coleslaw is the perfect side dish for summer parties, potlucks and barbecues.
Coleslaw is one of those popular and easy side dishes everyone is familiar with. I must admit that I used to avoid coleslaw as much as possible. Every time I thought of coleslaw, the image of mayonnaise drenched, boring and borderline tasteless supermarket cole slaw came to mind. Boy was I wrong!
This homemade Coleslaw has so much flavor! Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is refreshing, tangy, crunchy and a great topping for tacos and burgers. Coleslaw is also a great side dish to serve any time! Try it with this Tequila Lime Chicken or these easy and juicy Oven Baked Pork Chops!
Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
- Coleslaw Mix: This is my favorite shortcut for when I am feeling a bit lazy in the kitchen (so like every summer day). Feel free to make your own mix with green and purple cabbage and some shredded carrots.
- Green Onions: Scallions add a nice fresh little bite to this delicious Mexican slaw.
- Jalapenos: Seeded, deveined and chopped. If you want a little heat use serranos.
Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream: I prefer full fat.
- Mayonnaise: Use your favorite brand.
- Lime Zest and Juice: Fresh limes make all the difference!
How To Make Creamy Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw
- Make The Slaw Dressing: Make the creamy coleslaw dressing by mixing sour cream, mayonnaise, freshly squeezed lime juice and the zest of a lime. Season it with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix The Veggies: Toss the coleslaw mix, green onions, jalapenos and cilantro in a bowl.
- Toss and Serve: Toss the cabbage mix with the creamy coleslaw dressing. Serve or refrigerate for later use.
Of course! For this recipe you will need 6 to 7 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 carrot. You can use green cabbage or a combination of green and purple cabbage.
To make your own cabbage mix, you can use a mandolin or a food processor fitted with the shredder blade. Both the mandolin and the food processor make the whole process easier, quicker and produce nice thin shreds. You can also chop the cabbage with a sharp knife. The cabbage will have a bit more texture.
Yes, although coleslaw is crispier eaten a couple of hours after is made, this Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.
It is also a good idea to make the coleslaw dressing 2 to 3 days in advance and to toss the slaw together with the dressing about an hour before serving. This guarantees a crunchy texture.
I don’t recommend freezing coleslaw. Raw cabbage doesn’t hold well in freezing temperatures.
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw Recipe Tips
- If time permits, it’s a good idea to mix the coleslaw with the dressing one hour before serving, this way the flavors have time to develop and meld together.
- If you despise cilantro, use fresh parsley!
- If you want the dressing to be slightly sweet, feel free to add 2 tablespoons of honey to the coleslaw dressing.
- You can use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, if preferred.
- Add additional veggies to your coleslaw by adding thinly sliced bell peppers, avocado or by using half coleslaw mix and half broccoli slaw.
- Add some crunch by adding pepitas, sunflower seeds or pistachios.
- One of my readers suggested that if using a food processor to cut the cabbage, to use the slicer blade rather than the shredder if you prefer long shreds.
Serve this Coleslaw recipe with these delicious dishes:
- Blackened Fish Tacos
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- BBQ Ribs in the Oven (Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce)
- Pressure Cooker Ribs
- London Broil Recipe
- Baked Beef Ribs
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
For the Slaw
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix * see notes
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
For the Slaw Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (you want about 2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Slaw Dressings
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice and season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the slaw dressing and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- To make your own homemade coleslaw mix, you will need 6 to 7 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 carrot shredded.