This Watermelon Martini recipe is the perfect cocktail to sip during the summer months. This incredibly tasty vodka martini has the fruity and sweet taste of fresh watermelon juice and a refreshing zing from lime juice.
If you love fruity drinks I have a great watermelon cocktail you need to check out! Watermelon Margaritas are always a hit and so easy to make.
Best Watermelon Martini Recipe
Watermelon season is here and I have the perfect vodka cocktail for you. Get your cocktail shaker ready, it’s time to enjoy the perfectly balanced flavor of sweet watermelon and tart fresh lime juice all poured in a chilled martini glass.
Fresh watermelon martinis are definitely one of my favorite cocktail recipes for summer and the ideal signature drink to serve at your next gathering, BBQ or dinner party.
What’s a Watermelon Martini?
A watermelon martini is a vodka martini made by mixing parts of vodka with fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, orange liqueur and a sweetener. This vodka cocktail is served in a chilled martini glass and garnished with a watermelon wedge.
What Are the Ingredients in a Watermelon Martini?
For exact quantities, please read the recipe card below.
- Seedless Watermelon or Watermelon Juice: You can make fresh watermelon juice at home easily. All you need is fresh watermelon and a blender or food processor.
- Vodka: You can use your regular vodka (use your favorite vodka) or citrus vodka for this recipe.
- Lime Juice: From fresh limes. You can use fresh lemon juice if limes are not available.
- Orange Liqueur: You can use Cointreau, Grand Marnier or triple sec.
- Simple Syrup: Simple syrup is just a water and sugar mixture that gets warmed up so the sugar can completely dissolved. I am providing a recipe below.
- Garnish (optional): I love pretty, fruity cocktails so I like garnishing this drink with a small watermelon wedge, small watermelon cubes or frozen watermelon balls. A mint leaf (or two) always adds a touch of color and nice aroma.
- A blender or food processor (or both in one!) to make the watermelon juice.
- A cocktail shaker
- Martini Glasses.
How To Make A Watermelon Martini?
If your watermelon juice is super sweet, decrease the amount of simple syrup you add to the drink to your taste. For detailed instructions, check the recipe card below.
- Make Watermelon Juice: This step requires absolutely no effort! Simply put pieces, chunks or big cubes of watermelon in a blender and turn it on!
- Strain: Strain the juice through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the solids. You don’t want this to be like watermelon puree but a thin juice.
- Shake: Add watermelon juice, vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake vigorously for 40 seconds.
- Serve: Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish and serve.
How Much Watermelon Juice Do I Need?
For one cocktail you need 1/4 cup of watermelon juice. A small watermelon, often sold as “personal watermelons” (although you could easily served a family of 6 with one!) is all you need. If you want, you can purchase a piece of cut out watermelon since you only need 1/2 cup of chopped watermelon.
For your reference, a personal-sized watermelon (4 to 6 pounds) yields about 4 cups of watermelon juice.
Can I Use Triple Sec?
Yes, you can use Triple Sec or any other orange liqueur available. Both Cointreau and Grand Marnier are high quality orange liqueurs with a more pronounced, yet balanced orange flavor however Triple sec is a great option as well.
Take A Look At These Other Martini Recipes:
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Watermelon Martini Recipe
- 1/2 cup seedless chopped watermelon chilled or 1/4 cup watermelon juice
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup recipe below
- Watermelon wedge, cubes or balls and mint leaves to garnish optional
For the Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Make Watermelon Juice:
- To make the watermelon juice, put the watermelon cubes into a blender. Blend until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on solids.
- If not using immediately, store in an airtight container or pitcher in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Chill a martini glass in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add watermelon juice, vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake vigorously for 40 seconds.
- Strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish and serve.
To Make Simple Syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes
- Cool, then transfer the mixture to a small container and store in the refrigerator for up to a month.