Shrimp Fajitas features spiced rubbed shrimp, onions and bell peppers cooked in the oven, then smothered in cilantro lime butter. This mouthwatering Fajita recipe is made in a sheet pan in about 35 minutes!
Shrimp Fajitas are one of our favorite weeknight meals. They are packed with flavor, are very easy to make and you can have dinner ready in less time than placing an order at your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Since this fajitas recipe is made in one sheet pan, clean up is a breeze! That is what I call the perfect dinner!
What Goes with Shrimp Fajitas?
Fajitas served with tortillas are a delicious meal on their own! Besides the toppings, they are usually served with Mexican rice and beans. Some other tasty side dishes like Mexican Street Corn Salad, Mexican Rice Casserole or Charro Beans pair very well with Shrimp Fajitas!
What Are Good Toppings For Fajitas?
I love serving fajitas with salsa, avocado slices, sour cream, limes and jalapenos. However, the sky is the limit when it comes to toppings! Thinly sliced radishes, lettuce, corn salsa, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, pico de gallo and olives are also good options.
How To Make Shrimp Fajitas
- First, mix all the ingredients to make the spice mix.
- For easy clean up, place the shrimp in a resealable bag and add the marinade ingredients and a tablespoon of the spice mix. Let the shrimp sit for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours (in the fridge).
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the bell peppers and onions on the sheet pan, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with spice mix. Toss and coat and oven roast for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how tender you like your veggies.
- In the meantime. mix the cilantro lime butter ingredients.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, give the veggies a toss and push them towards one side of the baking sheet.
- Spread the shrimp evenly on the sheet pan and cook until the shrimp is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove from the oven, toss and drizzle the cilantro lime butter.
Shrimp Fajitas Tips and Notes
- Don’t overcook the shrimp or it will get rubbery. Cook the shrimp only until it becomes pink and opaque.
- I like to keep a couple of bags of frozen shrimp in my freezer. They come very handy when I need to make dinner quickly. If you forget to defrost the shrimp overnight in the refrigerator, simply place the frozen shrimp in a colander and rinse under cold running water. The shrimp will thaw out in minutes!
- Serve fajitas with flour (or corn) tortillas or wrapped in lettuce leaves for a low-carb, Keto meal.
- The spice blend used to season the shrimp is incredibly flavorful however, you can also use store bought fajita seasoning.
This post was first published in 2017. Some of the photos have been updates but the recipe is still the same.
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Shrimp Fajitas with Cilantro Lime Butter
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
For the Spice Mix
For the Marinade
For the Veggies
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (any color combination)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cilantro Lime Butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced
For Serving (Choose your favorite)
- Tortillas, chopped tomatoes, salsa, avocado slices, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, jalapeno slices
Make the Spice Mix
- In a small bowl combine the ground cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and ground clove. Set aside.
Make the Fajitas
- Put the shrimp in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the olive oil, lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture. Seal the bag and rub the spices into the shrimp. Refrigerate for 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the bell peppers and onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the spice mix. Toss until evenly coated and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes. In the meantime, mix the cilantro lime butter ingredients (instructions below).
- Carefully remove the sheet pan from the oven and stir the vegetables. Move them to one side of the baking pan. Add the shrimp and spread them evenly trying to make sure they are all in one layer.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes or until the shrimp is cook through.
- Remove from the oven and mix the vegetables and shrimp to combine. Drizzle the shrimp with the Cilantro Lime Butter and serve.
Cilantro Lime Butter
- Melt the butter in a small bowl. Add the cilantro, lime juice and minced garlic. Mix to combine