Last updated on August 4th, 2018 at 03:28 pm
This Mexican Three Bean Salad recipe is quick, easy and the perfect make-ahead salad to serve when you have company, at parties and potlucks. This protein-rich Mexican salad recipe is loaded with amazing southwestern flavors and the most delicious and simple citrus vinaigrette!
When it comes to 3 bean salad recipes, this Mexican Bean Salad is a winner! Not only is it insanely delicious but also the ideal stress-free, make-ahead, vegetarian, crowd-pleasing dish you can make again and again.
Packed with vegetables and protein-rich beans, it’s the perfect side dish or grab-to-go lunch. Add a couple of warm tortillas and it can also be served as a main vegetarian dish. Serve it as dip with tortilla chips and you have an easy appetizer for your next fiesta! Versatility and full flavor is what makes this Mexican Three Bean Salad recipe a favorite!
−— » » CHECK OUT THE VIDEO FOR THIS EASY RECIPE BELOW!!!! ««——
Mexican Three Bean Salad Ingredients
- For this Three Bean Salad recipe, I use canned beans. Canned beans really make life easier. I used black beans, light red kidney beans and great northern beans. Feel free to use any other bean you may have at home.
- Chopped red bell peppers – although you could use any other color.
- Chopped red onion, can be substitute for regular onions.
- Roasted corn, you can use store-bought canned roasted corn. I am giving you details on how to roast corn below. However, you can use plain corn if you prefer.
- Avocado, cilantro and chopped jalapeno.
How To Roast Corn
- In a Cast Iron Skillet: Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium hot heat. When hot, add the corn kernels in a single layer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook until the corn is charred.
- On the Grill: Shuck and clean the corn. You don’t have to worry about removing every piece of silk as it will burn on the grill. Heat your grill to medium hot. Place the corn directly on the grill. Grill turning occasionally for about 10 minutes or until charred and cooked through.
The Citrus Vinaigrette
This easy bean salad has the most simple and delicious citrus vinaigrette. Although is a bit different than a classic three bean salad recipe, I can guarantee it’s the best bean salad dressing!!
The fresh lime, lemon and cilantro combined with some spices create a wonderful Mexican vinaigrette you can use on any salad. I put all the ingredients in a jar and give it a shake. Done!
Add the chopped avocado when you are ready to serve the salad to prevent discoloration. Although the dressing has citrus, the avocado tends to look a bit mush when added in advanced.
You can serve the salad immediately, (I couldn’t wait and had to have a serving right away) but know that the flavors will develop and intensify the longer the salad sits in the refrigerator. 2 hours is perfect but more time won’t hurt it either!
- Serve this delicious salad with these tasty and easy main dishes:
Tequila Lime Chicken
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
Bourbon and Peach BBQ Ribs in the Oven
Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Looking for other salad ideas?
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
Crunchy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
Easy Mexican Chopped Salad with Spiced Rubbed BBQ Chicken
WANT TO TRY THIS MEXICAN THREE BEAN SALAD RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR SALAD OR SIDE DISH BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
- 1 12 ounces bag frozen corn or 2 to 3 ears of fresh corn
- 1 (15 ounces) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounces) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used light red)
- 1 (15 ounces) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed (you can use canellini beans as well)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chili, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or any other chili powder)
- extra chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium hot heat. When hot, add the corn kernels in a single layer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook until the corn is charred. You may have to repeat this process until all the corn is nicely charred.
Shuck and clean the corn. You don't have to worry about removing every piece of silk as it will burn on the grill.
Heat your grill to medium hot. Place the corn directly on the grill. Grill turning occasionally for about 10 minutes or until charred and cooked through.
Defrost the corn and use it as is.
In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, minced garlic, ground cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder and cilantro.
You can also put all the ingredients in a lidded jar and shake!
In a large bowl combine the corn, beans, bell pepper, onions and jalapeño (if using).
Pour the Vinaigrette over the beans and vegetables. Mix well to combine.
At this point, you can serve it (just fold in the chopped avocado gently), or you can refrigerate for a few hours. The flavors will develop as the salad sits. Just add the avocado before serving.
Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with extra chopped cilantro, if desired.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!