Last updated on April 14th, 2019 at 09:20 pm
This Easy Mexican Chopped Salad is a complete meal! Avocado, Corn, Tomatoes and Chickpeas are tossed with the easiest Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. Topped with flavorful Spiced Rubbed BBQ Chicken and crunchy Tortilla Strips! Yum!
The vibrant citrus vinaigrette, crunchy vegetables and creamy avocado mixed with the bold spiced BBQ chicken make this Easy Mexican Chopped Salad irresistible and tempting! Add some tortilla strips to that mix and you’ll be in salad heaven!
This is one of those salads that you will make over and over again. Even if you are not a “salad” person, this Easy Mexican Chopped Salad will convert you into a salad craving being (you are most welcome!).
The vinaigrette only has 4 ingredients, yet delivers lots flavor. Not heavy, not creamy just light and citrus-y and the best part is you can just shake it in a lidded jar and be done in no time.
I always make extra to keep in the refrigerator for when salad cravings happen (that’s very often in my world!).
The chicken in this recipe is the same delicious chicken I used for this BBQ Chicken Quesadilla with Smoked Gouda, the truth is I love that chicken so much I pretty much add it to everything I can. It has so much flavor! Utterly bold and perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the BBQ sauce delivering a nice kick that won’t burn your mouth (and your kids will be able to eat it).
Last but not least, the veggies! I used romaine lettuce, avocado, cherry tomatoes, corn and red onion. To make things easier I used frozen corn that I thawed out while cooking the chicken. Use fresh if you have it or canned in a pinch.
For added protein – and because my little one is vegetarian and won’t go anywhere near the chicken, I added garbanzo beans (chickpeas). You can use any canned beans you have – black beans would be a great option here.
As a topping, I added crunchy tortilla strips. I used store bought. If you want, you can always fry up a few corn tortillas and cut them into any shape you want! Honestly there’s nothing like freshly fried tortilla chips or strips but – did I tell you I need some shortcuts sometimes???
- To save time use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original
- Easily customize the salad to your like any way you want. Swap the garbanzo beans for any other bean, use iceberg lettuce or kale. Do you have left over grilled corn? Use in in this salad! Not a fan of onions? skip them!
- Looking for another healthy and flavorful chopped salad recipe? Check out my Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad, it is so delicious and easy to make! Did I tell you I am half Greek?
WANT TO TRY THIS EASY MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR SALAD OR DINNER BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Easy Mexican Chopped Salad with Spiced Rubbed BBQ Chicken
For the Chicken
For the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 heaped cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (if frozen, thawed - if canned, drained)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 + tortilla strips
To Make the Chicken
- In a small bowl mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chile powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. If you have time you can let it marinade for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- If cooking the chicken on the stove top: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- If Cooking on the Grill: Brush the grill with the remaining oil. Grill the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it. Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
To Make the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl whisk all the ingredients together. Or place all the ingredients in a lidded jar and shake well. Set aside
- Place the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions and garbanzo beans into a large salad bowl. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add the avocado and toss gently. Add more vinaigrette if need it.
- Top with sliced chicken. Garnish with tortilla strips and chopped cilantro. Drizzle some BBQ sauce on top if desired. Serve
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Things You May Need