This Dulce de Leche & Pumpkin Butter with Bourbon made in the crock pot is simple, decadent, thick and delicious! All the fall flavors in one delicious bite!
September is finally here and if you live in the United States, you know we are about to go nuts over all things pumpkin!
To ease myself into the season, I prepared this super easy and delicious recipe. The best part is, you can put all the ingredients in the crock pot and forget about it!
Well, you won’t be able to forget about it for long because the aromas coming out of that crock pot are so amazing you’ll be singing with joy and welcoming the fall with open arms and warm fuzzy socks.
Dulce de Leche & Pumpkin Butter with Bourbon in the Crock Pot
In South America, we make dulce de leche by boiling cans of condensed milk for hours. The result is a thick and delicious – caramel colored heavenly concoction also called manjarblanco, cajeta or doce de leite. It’s easy to make, it’s delicious, it’s addictive!
For this recipe, I mixed the condensed milk with the pumpkin puree in the crock pot and let it cook for 6 hours, this creates a similar product as dulce de leche but on pumpkin steroids!
Thick pumpkin butter with rich caramel flavor and the most amazing of colors!
To add an extra layer of flavor to this already delicious substance, I added a little bit of bourbon one hour before the end of the cooking time. Why? Do you have to ask? Hello!!
Even though the extra flavor is amazing, if you don’t have bourbon at home, you can substitute it with apple juice or apple cider. It will still be delicious!
- Serve this Dulce de Leche & Pumpkin Butter with Bourbon over warm biscuits, crackers or use it as a dip for apples and pretzels.
- Even though you are using a can of condensed milk for this recipe, the end result is not over the top sweet. I am not a big fan of “extra sugary sweet to the max stuff” but if you are, you can add extra brown sugar to your taste.
- Love everything pumpkin? Try my Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Dulce de Leche & Pumpkin Butter with Bourbon ~ Crock Pot Alert!
- In a crock pot or slow cooker, add the pumpkin puree, condensed milk, ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix to combine and cook on low for 5 hours stirring occasionally throughout the cooking time
- Add the bourbon and mix to combine. Cook for 1 extra hour.
- Serve warm or cold.