This crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe is easy to prepare without any of the oil mess of deep frying. Enjoy the most tender, fall-off-the-bone and crispiest wings smothered in savory, sweet and spicy bbq sauce.
Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings
This flavorful, healthier version of crispy chicken wings are a game changer. Air fryer chicken wings are tender and juicy inside, and have the most delicious crispy skin. There is no need to get a jug full of oil for deep frying, or having to deal with oil splatters.
This flavorful, healthier version of crispy chicken wings are a game changer. Air fryer wings are tender and juicy inside, and have the most delicious crispy skin.
There is no need to get a jug full of oil for deep frying, or having to deal with oil splatters. Air frying may just become your favorite way to cook this great appetizer.
These crispy wings are tossed with the best savory, sweet and spicy honey BBQ sauce.
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe?
- Healthier: No deep frying means less fat and less calories.
- Perfect appetizer: Air fryer chicken wings are a great appetizer to serve at your next party, on game day, for the super bowl or any other time you are craving hot wings.
- Quick and easy: Made in a few simple steps, these chicken wings are ready in a fraction of the time.
- Flavorful: This easy recipe makes the crispiest chicken wings coated in a tantalizing honey barbecue sauce.
- Versatile: You can toss the cooked wings with your favorite wing sauce. Wether you like buffalo sauce, sweet chili or any other spicy sauce, these air fryer chicken wings are well seasoned and cooked to crispy perfection.
This section reviews the best ingredients and substitutions for this wings recipe. For an exact list of ingredients and quantities, check the recipe card below
- Chicken wings: For this recipe, I use chicken wings that are split into 2 sections, the drummette (that’s the meaty section that looks like a drumstick) and the wingnette or flat. Often these type of wings are sold as “party wings”. You can also purchase whole wings and cut them yourself. First, cut off the wing tips and save them to make chicken stock or discard them if preferred. Then, cut the wing to separate the meaty drummette from the wingnette or flat.
- Dry rub: The seasoning mix is made with simple ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry. Brown sugar, seasoned salt like Lawry’s, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and ground black pepper.
- Honey barbecue sauce: To save on time, I use regular store bought bbq sauce and mix it with honey and hot sauce.
How to make air fryer bbq chicken wings?
- Prep: Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place them in a bowl with dried seasonings and toss to coat.
- Air fry at lower temperature: Place the wings in the air fryer basket on a single layer. Set the air fryer to 360 degrees F and cook for 12 minutes. When the cooking time is done, flip the wings with kitchen tongs and cook for 12 additional minutes.
- Combine honey bbq sauce: Meanwhile, heat the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Air fry at higher temperature: Remove the air fryer basket and raise the temperature to 390 degrees F. Carefully flip the wings and return them to the air fryer. Cook until the wings are extra crispy.
- Toss wings with sauce: Transfer the crispy wings to a large bowl. Mix with the BBQ sauce reserving some of the sauce for serving. Serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks and your favorite dipping sauce (optional).
The secret to the crispiest wings
- Pat the wings dry with paper towels. Not only the wings get crispier when you remove excess moisture, but the seasoning will adhere to the wings better producing tastier wings .
- Air fry the wings at two different temperatures. This results in juicy and extra crispy wings without having to use baking powder.
- First, air fry the wings at 360ºF for 24 minutes flipping the wings once. This cooks the wings to tender perfection.
- Second, rise the temperature to 390ºF and air fry to crisp up the wings.
What dipping sauces can I serve with air fryer chicken wings?
You can serve the crispy wings with additional BBQ sauce, with your favorite ranch dressing , caesar dressing or with blue cheese dressing.
Can you make frozen chicken wings in the air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen wings in an air fryer, although the cooking time at 360ºF will have to be increased by 5 – 6 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket a couple of times at the beginning of the cooking time to separate the wings.
I prefer not using frozen chicken wings because in this recipe the wings are seasoned with a dried rub. The rub will simply slide off the frozen, wet wings.
Should you dry wings before air frying?
Yes! Blot away any moisture with paper towels before air frying. You can also allow the wings to air dried for about 20 minutes before frying. Dry skin crisps up better.
Storage, Freezing and Reheating
How to store chicken wings?
Leftover wings should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze cooked wings?
Cooked air fried chicken wings freeze well and will keep in the freezer for 2 months.
How to reheat chicken wings?
You can reheat the wings in a 325ºF oven tented with aluminum foil until heated through or in the air fryer at 350º F for 6 minutes, turning once halfway through. For best results, toss the wings with a bit of bbq sauce befire serving.
Take a look at these other fun and easy appetizer recipes:
- Crispy Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Wings (From Fresh or Frozen)
- Baked Korean Chicken Wings Recipe
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- The Best Seven Layer Dip
- Authentic Mexican Salsa Recipe (Salsa Roja)
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Honey BBQ Sauce
- Nonstick cooking spray for the basket
- 2 pounds chicken wings cut into flats and wingettes (aka party wings)
For the Dry Mix:
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce such as Franks (optional)
- Spray the air fryer basket with non cooking spray.
- Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the air fryer to 360º Fahrenheit.
- Pat the chicken wings dry, thoroughly with paper towels, and place them in a large mixing bowl. Season the wings with the spice mix and toss to coat.
- Place the wings in the air fryer basket on a single layer, making sure the wings don’t touch. If needed, you can line up the drummettes upright standing along the sides.
- Set the air fryer to and cook for 12 minutes. Remove the basket and carefully, flip the wings with kitchen tongs. Return to the air fryer and cook for 12 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the BBQ sauce ingredients into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat stirring frequently until warm through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once again, remove the basket and raise the air fryer temperature to 390º F. Carefully flip the wings and return them to the air fryer.
- Cook until the wings are extra crispy, about 5-6 minutes (or more if the wings are large).
- Transfer the crispy wings to a large bowl. Pour about 3/4 of the BBQ sauce over the wings and toss to combine. Place the wings on a serving plate and serve with the remaining sauce on the side.
- What chicken wings to get? This recipe is made with chicken wings separated into flats and wignettes (the meaty portion that looks like a tiny chicken drumstick)
- Don’t forget: Pat the wings dry with paper towels before seasoning them.
- Switch it up: You can air fry the wings with the season mix above or you can use your favorite seasoning.
- Instead of the honey BBQ recipe above, you can use any other sauce you prefer.
- Crisp and Juicy: To get crispy wings, we air fry the wings at two different temperatures. This results in juicy and extra crispy wings without having to use baking powder.
- Storing: Leftover wings should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. (If you have any leftovers! We devour them in one sitting!)
- Freezing: Cooked air fried chicken wings freeze well and will keep in the freezer for 2 months.