These Homemade Baked Beans with Bacon are rich, hearty and thick with the perfect balance of savory and sweet! These baked beans are a must for summer barbecues and cookouts!
These Baked Beans with Bacon will make your taste buds sing! Thanks to a few shortcuts, this baked bean recipe is very easy to make and one that will be a hit at your next gathering!
I am very picky when it comes to baked beans. Obviously, with such a classic dish everyone seems to have a favorite. In the case of homemade baked beans, I love complex flavors. Some smokiness, a bit of zesty heat and lots of sweetness. After much testing and tweaking I think these are the best baked beans for sure!
How To Make Homemade Baked Beans with Bacon
These baked beans are so easy to make. The oven will do most of the work while you sip a glass of wine or clean the house – up to you!
- First cook up some bacon until crispy. The bacon and bacon fat add such a nice smokiness to the dish.
- In the bacon fat, saute some onions, bell peppers and garlic.
- The next flavor booster is beer. I use regular pale ale. If you are wondering, the beer will boil down and the alcohol will evaporate leaving behind the flavor or essence of the beer. Totally safe for kids (and adults too!).
- Add BBQ sauce, molasses, sugar and spices.
- Add beans, top with bacon and bake for one hour.
Making Homemade Baked Beans is all about layering flavors. I discovered – thanks to The Pioneer Woman’s Baked Beans that bacon is a must! I also like using 2 types of canned beans for this recipe. A combination of already flavorful pork and beans and baked beans balance the entire dish adding an extra layer of flavor.
- I use 2 (15-ounces) cans of Pork and Beans and 1 (28-ounces) can of Baked Beans, drained. There’s no need to go crazy trying to remove every drop of liquid from the beans, a quick drain will do. Buy the “original” recipe if available.
- The dried ginger may be a bit unusual but you don’t want to skip it!
- Check out these other side dishes perfect for your next BBQ or summer cookout:
Refreshing Watermelon Salad (West Via Midwest)
Easy Southwest Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette Dressing (Kylee Cooks)
Mexican Three Bean Salad
Creamy Cilantro Coleslaw
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Garlic Butter and Parmesan
- Enjoy these other summer BBQ favorites:
Cajun Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Sticky Chicken with Peach Glaze
Juicy Honey Mustard Grilled Boneless Pork Chops (West Via Midwest)
No Fail Grilled Lamb Chops (West Via Midwest)
WANT TO TRY THESE ZESTY BAKED BAKED BEANS WITH BACON?
PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR BBQ BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Zesty Homemade Baked Beans with Bacon
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Pork and Beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can Baked Beans, drained
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, cook bacon until the fat renders and a bit cripy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pot and drain on paper towels.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beer and bring to a boil. Reduce until almost all the beer has evaporated.
- Add the BBQ sauce, molasses and sugar and mix to combine. Add the ginger and mustard and mix well.
- Add the Pork and Beans and Baked Beans and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the beans into a 13 x 9 baking dish. Top with the bacon and bake for 1 hour.
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!