This Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is hearty, creamy and delicious. Loaded with ham, potatoes and veggies in a rich and tasty broth . This easy crock pot soup recipe is pure comfort food!
I have to confess, I love to make soups all year round. I don’t care if it’s hot outside, there’s nothing more comforting to me than a big bowl of hearty soup.
I especially love how easy it is to make soups in the crock pot. This Ham and Potato Soup takes just minutes to prep and simmers away until you are ready for dinner! Definitely a dump-and-go crock pot soup!
This simple soup requires just a few common ingredients. Diced ham, potatoes, corn, carrots, celery and onions plus some thyme, garlic and broth. If you have any leftover ham from the holidays, this is the recipe you want to make. Trust me, this easy potato soup recipe is one your whole family will love!
Crock Pot Soups
I love dump-and go recipes like this Chicken Enchilada Soup (it’s like the one at Chili’s but without any processed ingredients). This super creamy Potato Corn Chowder is super easy to make and a wonderful week night meal.
How To Make Ham and Potato Soup
- Place the ham, vegetables and broth into the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add the cream and sour cream and let the soup simmer on high for 15 to 30 minutes (while you set the table or pour yourself a glass of wine). The cream and sour cream adds richness and makes this simple soup creamy and extra tasty!
- If you have time and want a thicker soup, just let it simmer a bit longer. The longer it simmer – the thicker it gets!
Ham and Potato Recipe Tips
- Instead of using diced ham steaks, you can use leftover ham (you can use the ham bone too).
- Leftovers of this tasty slow cooker soup can be store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can make this delicious soup into a super cheesy potato ham soup by adding about a cup of freshly shredded cheese and a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- High temperatures make dairy curdle. After adding the cream and the sour cream, the soup sure only be warmed up for a few minutes. Make sure the soup is kept on low heat for a short period of time.
Take A Look At These Other Delicious and Easy Recipes:
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cuban Mojo Pork
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Tortellini Soup (with Italian Sausage and Spinach)
- Tom Yum Soup
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Creamy Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- 2 pounds russett potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces ham steaks, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Place the potatoes, corn, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, ham, thyme and ground black pepper in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth over. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Scoop out some of the potatoes into a plate and mash them with a fork (it’s OK if you get some of the ham and other vegetables – they won’t really mash much). Return the mashed potatoes to the crock pot, stirring them in to thicken the broth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream and cook on high for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and serve. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desire.