This easy Chicken Shawarma with vegetables sheet pan dinner is seasoned with a delicious blend of warm spices and then, oven roasted to perfection. Tender and juicy chicken pieces and caramelized golden brown veggies make the best, tasty and healthy Middle Eastern inspired meal, quick enough for weeknight meals!
I am always looking for quick and easy chicken recipes that are flavorful and can be made in one-pan and in less than 30 minutes! Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma is definitely a great dinner option simply made with a mixture of common spices, lemon juice and olive oil.
To make this a complete, well rounded meal, I add some veggies to the baking pan and then I season the chicken and veggies with my flavorful homemade shawarma seasoning. After a quick toss everything goes into the oven for about 15 minutes.
Shawarma is one of those dishes that my family can’t get enough of. A healthy and mouthwatering meal made with simple ingredients and a few common spices that deliver maximum flavor (and not a lot of dirty dishes!)
You can serve shawarma vegetables and chicken with some fluffy quinoa, steamed rice, creamy mashed potatoes, low-carb cauliflower rice or sweet potato fries.
Just like with this amazing Chicken Shawarma recipe, I oftentimes make Shawarma wraps by stuffing pita bread or flatbread with this tasty chicken and veggie mixture. Serve the wraps with a dollop of my favorite Tzatziki sauce or with some creamy garlic sauce.
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern street food made with spice-marinated meat stacked on a vertical spit, like a roaster. While the meat cooks, it gets basted with its own fat and tasty juices resulting in juicy, tender meat with crispy golden edges and lots of flavor.
When the shawarma meat is ready, it gets shaved off the spit and is served on its own or made into deliciously flavorful wraps or sandwiches, piled high with fresh vegetables and served with tahini sauce or garlic yogurt sauce.
Shawarma is made with a variety of meats. Lamb beef and chicken are the most popular.
There are a couple of ways of making this exotic dish at home that produces equally tasty results. For this sheet pan recipe I simply roast the chicken and vegetables in the oven, however, grilling is also a great option during warm weather months.
One Pan Chicken Shawarma Ingredients
For detailed information and exact quantities, check the recipe card below.
- Chicken: I always have boneless and skinless chicken breast in the freezer so I tend to use them often. You can make this recipe with boneless and skinless chicken thighs also and if you have chicken tenders you can use them as well.
- Shawarma Seasoning Mix: Ground cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic powder, turmeric and salt, pinch of black pepper, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- Oil: Olive oil , avocado oil, vegetable or canola oil can be used.
- Onions: I used red onions but brown, yellow or white onions can be used.
- Bell Peppers: Any color or a combination.
- Cherry Tomatoes: You could use larger tomatoes but I really like how the little ones get blistered in the oven.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice is best. Bottled juice cannot compare to fresh lemons.
How To Make Shawarma At Home?
Making shwarma at home in the oven is super easy. For detailed instructions check the printable recipe card below.
- Get Ready: Preheat the oven.
- Mix the Shawarma Seasoning: In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, water, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and black pepper.
- Arrange Chicken and Veggies: On a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper, place the chicken tenders, onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- Toss with Spice Mix: Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with the spice mixture and toss well to combine.
- Bake: Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Serve: Remove from the oven. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional) and serve.
Where Does Shawarma Originate From?
Shawarma originated roughly in the location of modern day Turkey. A quick search on the internet shows shawarma as a Levantine dish. The Levant region centers around modern Syria, Israel, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and parts of Turkey.
How Do I Serve Chicken Shwarma?
This chicken and vegetable shawarma recipe is a whole meal on its own. This tasty meal can be served just like a grain or veggie bowl with rice pilaf, or quinoa. It is also delicious with couscous, sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes (try my creamy slow cooker mashed potatoes or my amazingly delicious and quick Instant Pot mashed potatoes) For a low carb meal, serve it with cauliflower rice.
You can also make chicken shawarma wraps (Gyro style) with pita bread, pita pockets or flatbread. Drizzle it with tahini sauce, garlic sauce or Tzatziki.
Can I Make This Dish With Beef?
Absolutely! You can make beef shawarma with veggies by replacing the chicken with beef. I suggest using flank steak, thin-cut sirloin steak or skirt steak sliced against the grain into bite size pieces. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the thickness of the steak.
Do I Need To Marinate The Chicken?
Shawarma is such a flavorful dish due to the wonderful mixture of warm spices. This easy to make sheet pan meal has a lot of flavor without being overpowering even if you don’t marinate the ingredients. If you have time, you can let the chicken and veggies marinate for 15 minutes to overnight.
Can I Make This Chicken Shawarma Recipe In Advance?
Yes! This shawarma recipe can be made ahead of time and reheats well. This sheet pan meal is an excellent option if you like to meal prep.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Sheet pan Chicken Shawarma with vegetables Recipe Tips
- This sheet pan dinner recipe can be made with boneless and skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs cut into small pieces (about 1-inch pieces).
- You can use other vegetables to make this healthy sheet pan dinner. Asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms are great options.
- Add extra cayenne pepper if you like to add some heat to this easy recipe.
- If time permits, you can marinate the chicken and veggies for 15 minutes or overnight.
- If marinating in the fridge, always allow the ingredients to come to room temperature before baking.
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Vegetables
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoons salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces or boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, water, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and black pepper.
- On a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper, place the chicken, onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with the spice mixture and toss well to combine.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from the oven. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional) and serve.