This Ramen Noodle Salad is easy to make, light, fresh and delicious. Coleslaw, crunchy noodles, mandarin oranges, edamame and almonds are tossed in a flavorful Asian Sesame Dressing. This Crunchy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad is the perfect dish to serve at parties and potlucks.
When I first heard of ramen noodle salad, I knew I had to make it! I was convinced that my entire family was going to love a twist on Asian Coleslaw. I was right! They devoured it and asked for seconds and thirds.
This Asian Salad recipe is simple and very inexpensive. You can make your own cabbage slaw or you can purchase prepackaged coleslaw at the market – that is usually what I do.
How To Make Ramen Noodle Salad
- The Crunchy Noodles and Almonds: I start by breaking up the noodles into smaller pieces and quickly toasting them in the oven alongside the almonds. This process takes only a few minutes. They crisp up and get golden pretty fast. I always have to keep a close eye on them.
- The Asian Dressing: Some versions of Ramen Salad use the instant seasoning package to make the vinaigrette. I decided to make my own Asian Sesame Dressing instead. My delicious Asian Salad dressing only has a few ingredients and it is super easy to make.
- The Asian Slaw Mix: Mix the coleslaw, scallions, shelled edamame – I buy frozen edamame and let it thaw out. If you are in a rush, place the edamame in a colander and rinse under cold tap water. Add a can of drained mandarin oranges and you are done. Sometimes, I add avocado slices because, hello! Who doesn’t love avocado? Just make sure you add them only when you are ready to serve the salad.
This Crunchy Oriental Ramen Salad is budget friendly, kid friendly and the perfect make ahead dish to serve at parties, picnics and summer barbecues. Of course, at home I also make it during weekdays when I am busy and don’t have a lot of time to cook. Add some cooked shredded chicken and you have a complete and filling meal!
Serve this Asian slaw with this quick and easy 6-ingredient Honey Ginger Salmon. It only takes 20 minutes to make! How awesome is that?
- Make it Ahead: I toss all the slaw ingredients – except the noodle/almond mixture -with the Asian Sesame Dressing. I place the noodle/almond mixture on top and mix it in when I am ready to serve.
- If you have leftovers, keep them refrigerated for up to 2 days. The noodles won’t be as crispy as the first day but the salad will still be delicious.
- Use broccoli slaw instead of regular coleslaw.
- Add other vegetables like sliced red bell peppers, broccoli florets, baby corn, shredded Brussels sprouts and snow peas.
- Need more salad ideas?
Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
Mexican Three Bean Salad
Grilled Vegetables and Couscous Salad
Mexican Street Corn Salad
Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
WANT TO TRY THIS CRUNCHY ASIAN RAMEN NOODLE SALAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR SALAD BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Crunchy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
- 2 (3 ounces) packages of ramen noodles, cumbled (any flavor - we won't use the seasoning package)
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of coleslaw mix *see notes
- 1 (8 ounce) bag edamame, shelled and thawed
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions), sliced thinly (about 5 - 6 scallions)
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 avocado. pitted, peeled and sliced (optional)
To Make the Asian Sesame Vinaigrette
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined. You can also add all the ingredients in a jar and shake!
For the Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a baking sheet, spread the crumbled ramen noodles and sliced almonds.
- Bake for about 5 - 7 minutes, tossing once until the ramen noodles and the almonds are slightly toasted and golden. Keep an eye on them, they toast fast! especially the almonds.
Remove from the oven and set aside
- Add the coleslaw mix, edamame, scallions and mandarin oranges to a large bowl. Add the ramen noodles/almonds mixture.
- Add the vinaigrette and sesame seeds and toss until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
If using avocado, please see the notes
- To make your own homemade coleslaw mix, you will need 6 to 7 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 carrot shredded.
- Add the avocado when you are ready to serve the salad.
- At home we serve the avocado slices on the side. When mixed in, the avocado can get a bit mushy.