This Grilled Veggie Sandwich is a masterpiece! Loaded with marinated grilled vegetables, fresh mozzarella and a super flavorful and easy to make basil aioli.
The Ultimate Grilled Veggie Sandwich is a great vegetarian option that is healthy, filling and delicious. Trust me even meat lovers will love this sandwich!!
I absolutely love a giant pile of grilled vegetables – fresh and seasonal veggies from the market or homegrown. Veggies make me happy and are always welcome in my kitchen.
In my absolute dream world, I have a
big ginormous garden with all sorts of vegetables, herbs and flowers. From the humble and plentiful zucchini to the most exotic mushrooms – all things living in perfect harmony.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the greenest thumb or all the patience that gardening requires. But a girl can dream! Maybe one day, a not so distant day, in a galaxy not far away….
Now the hubs on the other hand…. he has a green thumb. He used to plant and care for our garden and grew some amazing vegetables. *Hint *hint hubs, perhaps it is time to start a garden again! – not sure he reads my blog but a wife can try to send messages this way.
Back to the grilled vegetables…. I love marinating my vegetables for a few minutes – they don’t need a lot of time. What I usually do is mix some extra virgin olive oil with some balsamic vinegar, salt and ground black pepper. Sometimes I also add grated or minced garlic and chopped rosemary. The added flavor is magical, it really adds a subtle but wonderful flavor to the veggies.
For The Ultimate Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Aioli you can choose whatever vegetables you like. For example, if you are not fond of mushrooms don’t use them. Simple! Just grill vegetables that you like.
You can use an outside grill or a grill pan. Both work and provide wonderful results. I mostly use my grill pan because I love grilling all year round. There’s something about grilled things…. the flavor, the grill marks. It’s perfection!
The Basil aioli is very easy to make. A few ingredients and a blender or food processor is all you need for incredibly flavorful results! The aioli is also perfect as a dip or to be served with grilled meats.
- If you are looking for spectacular sandwiches you must try these:
Grilled Shrimp BLT Panini
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melts
WANT TO TRY THIS GRILLED VEGGIE SANDWICH?
PIN IT TO YOUR SANDWICH OR DINNER BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
The Ultimate Grilled Veggie Sandwich ~ with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Aioli
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 2 medium bell peppers (red, orange and/or yellow), seeded and quartered
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, slice into rounds
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 slices wholegrain or sourdough bread OR 4 ciabatta bread rolls
For the Basil Aioli
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or heat up an outside grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over the vegetables. Toss to combine. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Marinade for 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over, flipping once. About 8 to 10 minutes for the bell peppers; 7 minutes for the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, onion and mushrooms. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Toast the bread on the grill or in a toaster.
Spread the bread with a layer of the basil aioli.
- Layer each vegetable on bottom half of bread. Top with mozzarella cheese. Replace top half of bread, aioli side down, and press. Cut each sandwich in half with a serrated knife and serve.
To Make the Basil Aioli
- Add the mayonnaise, basil leaves, garlic and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.Season with salt and pepper to taste.