Last updated on October 23rd, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Buttery and toasty bread with an incredibly gooey and delicious filling. This easy Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melt is everything a grilled cheese sandwich should be and then some!! You too can turn two classic recipes into one incredible masterpiece!
I just love cooking! Trying new flavor combinations and altering a classic recipe fills me with excitement! In the case of this Spinach and Artichoke Dip meets-and-marries a grilled cheese sandwich, my goal was to incorporate an ingredient that would add brightness and zing to my dip without too much heat. The solution? Peperoncinis!
If you thought you could only use peperoncini to top an Italian hoagie, think again! I love the zingy, bright and fresh flavor it adds to my recipes. I love adding it to spaghetti sauce, to hearty beef stews and even omelettes! I definitely never had a problem getting to the bottom of the jar!
These Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melts are rich, creamy, decadent and delicious. Easy and quick to make qualifies them as a perfect weeknight meal yet they are fabulous enough to serve at special occasions.
Spinach and artichoke dip is one of the most popular dips! It is always a big hit at any gathering. This grilled cheese sandwich is so melty, delicious and easy to make that I can guarantee it will be one you would put into rotation!
- Cut the Spinach and Artichoke Cheese Melts into smaller pieces and serve them as appetizers.
- I used a bag of pre-shredded cheddar cheese (don’t judge – I want to keep the work to a minimum). You can shred any type of cheddar cheese you like (sharp and white types are great for this),
- You can use whole peperoncini or sliced ones. If using whole, remove some of the seeds before chopping them. No need to obsess over every single seed – what I do is pull the top and voila, most of the seeds come right out.
WANT TO TRY THESE SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP CHEESE MELTS?
PIN IT TO YOUR SANDWICH OR DINNER BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melts
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for spreading on the sandwiches
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta peperoncini, chopped finely
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (15-ounces) can artichoke hearts, cut into big chunks, gently squeezed from its liquid
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 6 ounces mozarella cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces triple cheddar, shredded (you can use any combination of cheddar cheese or just sharp cheddar)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 bread slices, country white or regular white
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes or until the onions are soft and become translucent making sure your heat is low enough not to burn the garlic.
- Add the peperoncini and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese, mixing well until melted and well combined.
- Add the artichoke hearts, spinach, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Cook stirring often for about 4 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. You can place a lid over the skillet to help the spinach wilt quickly and evenly. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses to the spinach mixture stirring well to combine.
- Spread butter to one side of each bread slice. Spread about 1/3 cup of the spinach/cheese mixture to the non buttered side of a bread slice. Top with a slice of bread - butter side up.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches, in batches, until they are golden brown and crispy on each side and the filling is warmed through and melted about 6 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!