Last updated on July 7th, 2018 at 11:11 pm
This Thai Chicken Larb Salad is made with ground chicken, lime juice and fresh herbs. Healthy, fresh, aromatic and super tasty! No need to drive to your favorite Thai restaurant anymore, enjoy this popular and exotic Thai salad at home!
I love Thai food! Thai recipes are so flavorful and easy to make at home. One of my favorite Thai recipes is this Easy Tom Yum Soup (Thai Hot and Sour Soup). It comes together in very little time and packs lots of flavor!
What is Larb
Larb Gai (also spelt Laab Gai, Laap Gai, Lahb or Larp) is a type of mince meat Thai salad seasoned with lime juice and other seasonings like fish sauce and fresh herbs. It is the “unofficial National dish of Laos” and very popular in Thailand. It can be made with ground pork, beef, duck and even fish.
How To Make Chicken Larb
- To make this Chicken Larb Salad even simpler and quicker, I don’t add rice powder to thicken the sauce. I decided to leave it out because it was one less step in the process and the flavor is still the same. If you want to add it, please check the recipe notes where I show you how to make roasted rice powder at home.
- First, mix the sauce ingredients. Lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Set aside.
- In a little bit of oil stir fry the aromatics. Chili, shallots and garlic. If you cannot find Thai chiles, feel free to use serranos or jalapenos. Thai chili powder can also be used. If you like extra heat, go bold!
- Add the meat and stir fry until cooked through.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the scallions, onions and sauce. Toss to combine. Add the herbs (if using, rice powder would be added at this time) and toss. You have one tasty Thai Salad ready to serve!
How To Serve This Larb Recipe
- You can serve it as an appetizer over lettuce leaves (Thai lettuce wraps) or over crispy wonton wrappers.
- I like to serve this Thai Salad with lettuce leaves (Romaine and butter lettuce are my favorite), sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots and green beans.
- Make it into a meal by serving it over white rice.
- Have plenty of fresh herbs for serving. Mint leaves and basil are great options.
- Lime wedges. Some extra freshly squeezed lime juice is always a must for me when enjoying this salad.
This recipe is part of Food Blogger’s Winter Games Series! If you want to see the delicious recipes my friends are making this week, the links are below!
WANT TO TRY THIS THAI CHICKEN SALAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR SALAD OR APPETIZER BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Thai Chicken Larb Salad
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Thai chili or serrano chili, thinly sliced (more or less to your taste) or 1/2 teaspoon Thai chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, canola or coconut oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, ninced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Lettuce leaves
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber slices
- Fresh mint and fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
If you would like to add rice powder to this recipe please read the notes.
- In a small bowl mix together the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Heat a wok or medium size skillet over high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chilies, shallots and garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until the shallots become translucent.
- Add the ground chicken and cook for about 4 - 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove from the heat and add the scallions, onions and the sauce mixture. Toss to combine. Add the cilantro and mint and toss to combine.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, carrots sticks, cucumber slices and more fresh herbs (optional).
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Check out these amazing Winter Games Recipes from some of my blogger friends!
China – Cashew Chicken
Germany –Pork & Sauerkraut Cabbage Rolls
Greece – Greek Style Grilled Lamb Chops
Italy –Fettuccini Alfredo
Italy – Wild Mushroom Risotto
Korea – Oven Baked Korean BBQ Chicken Wings
Sweden –Easy Swedish Cucumber Salad
USA – Instant Pot Bourbon BBQ Ribs