This Southwestern Chicana Chicken only requires a few ingredients to deliver full flavor! A simple meal that will make your taste buds sing!
This Southwestern Chicana Chicken is easy, quick, light, and simple. The perfect comfort meal to serve your family! So good you will want to serve it to company too!
This is the first meal I made for my husband many, many years ago when we were still dating. Even though I was interested in cookbooks and cooking shows, I didn’t have any culinary training then. I didn’t cook much at that time and most of my meals consisted of salads, canned soups or take out.
This Southwestern Chicana Chicken was inspired by a beef dish (yes beef) that one of my then – boyfriend’s relatives made for us while we were visiting him in Northern California.
As soon as I got home, I decided to experiment and recreate Chicana but instead of beef I decided to make it with chicken because – who doesn’t have chicken in their freezer most of the time?
Southwestern Chicana Chicken
This dish is homey, comforting and very simple. It only requires a few ingredients and cooks in about 20 minutes – hello delicious awesomeness!
It was a big success the first time I made it, and it is still a popular and often requested dish at home. I usually serve it with white or brown rice.
- Simple is the key when making this dish. Chop the chicken in small bite size pieces and the onions and green bell peppers a little bit smaller than the chicken. No need to stress over perfectly diced anything.
- Adjust the hot sauce amount to your liking. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you want!
- Try some of my favorite chicken recipes:
Chicken with Artichokes and Sun Dried Tomatoes Cream Sauce
Thai Red Curry Chicken with Vegetables
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Southwestern Chicana Chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 15-ounces can stewed tomatoes, (original or Mexican recipe)
- 2-4 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Place the stewed tomatoes with their juices in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep, lidded skillet. Add the onions and green bell peppers and saute stirring often for about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Add the chicken into the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add the blended stewed tomatoes into the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, add the hot sauce and cover. Cook on low for about 10 minutes. Uncover, add the chopped cilantro and adjust the seasoning to your taste. Serve
Leave a Review!