Last updated on September 27th, 2017 at 05:44 pm
Perfectly seasoned easy skillet potatoes with garlic, fresh herbs, and Parmesan Cheese. Topped with crispy bacon pieces and more cheese of course!
Soft and velvety in the middle with browned crispy edges these Parmesan Herb Easy Skillet Potatoes are delicious and easy to make. Perfect served as a side dish, as part of breakfast or brunch!
Sometimes, I wonder if potatoes are everyone’s favorite vegetable. Are they really a vegetable? more like a starch but, I will say they score high on the likability factor. A million ways to prepare them and yet still satisfying and delicious. From boiled to fried – all preparations seem to bring joy to my heart. I love potatoes so much, sometimes I just eat them boiled with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt (yes people I do love lemon).
We could call this potato dish home fries, cottage fries, country potatoes and some may even say hash browns(although I would disagree with the last one). Whatever the name, one thing is for certain, they are simple yet delicious!
They are quickly cooked until “al dente” (par-boiled) and then finished in a skillet with some bacon drippings (Please add Homer Simpson’s voice here – mmmmm bacon!). Fresh garlic, lemon zest and fresh herbs add lots of flavor and brightness while Parmesan cheese puts them into the amazing category!
- You could use any type of potato for this recipe however, russets usually produce the best crust while red or new potatoes turn out creamier.
- Par-cooking your potatoes before frying them in a skillet is essential to getting crispy results. However, make sure you don’t over cook them. If they are too soft, they will just fall apart and you will end up with a mush – a potato mush is never a bad thing but we are going for home fries type potatoes here!!
- A secret for keeping the potato’s shape while par-boiling them is to add a little bit of vinegar to the boiling water (about a tablespoon per quart of water). Of course add salt to the water too – just for flavor!
WANT TO TRY THIS PARMESAN HERB EASY SKILLET POTATOES?
PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR BRUNCH BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
- 4 pounds potatoes (about 4-5 large russet)
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a pot and add enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Season the water with salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until the potatoes are "al dente" (test it by inserting a skewer into a piece of potato. It should go through with a bit of resistance). Drain well and cool slightly. Cut the potatoes into 1- inch dice.
In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a plated lined with paper towels.
Turn the heat to low and add the butter to the bacon drippings. Add the rosemary and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Stir and cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes . Add the lemon zest.
Add the potatoes to the skillet and stir to combine.
Turn the heat to medium-high heat. Make sure the potatoes are in one layer. Cook until a crust has formed on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Gently turn them and cook until all sides are golden brown an crispy. Add extra butter or oil if needed.
Add the Parmesan cheese, extra parsley and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Things You May Need