This soul-soothing, healing Maca Latte works wonders! Enjoy the benefits of one of the most powerful superfoods, maca powder, while drinking a cup of this easy to make maca coffee. This creamy, rich and energizing caffeine-free drink is packed with antioxidants and dense in nutrients.
A Cup of Maca Latte A Day
Just like the old saying an apple a day… I grew up not only hearing about all the wonderful benefits of maca root but also seeing my aunts and uncles sipping the healthy beverage either in the morning or in the afternoon, before going back to work.
They called it “cafe maca” or maca coffee. As a child, I assumed the miracle drink, was simply a mixture of freshly brewed coffee and some highly revered powder containing crazy amounts of caffeine. I was surprised to learned that this well known energy booster was caffeine-free and indeed, used for medicinal purposes.
Why You Should Make This Recipe?
- This maca latte recipe can be adapted to suit your dietary needs. With a quick swap of ingredients you can make this a vegan, keto, paleo or whole 30 compliant drink.
- We show you the basics and offer you a list of tasty and beneficial additions. For example, the addition of turmeric, the potent anti-inflammatory Indian spice used in dishes such as this chicken shawarma recipe and in golden milk latte, makes this drink a complete powerhouse of health benefits.
- If you need a quick natural pick-me-up without all the additives and caffeine of an energy drink or several shots of coffee then, you need to make this recipe.
The Healing Power of Maca Powder
What Is Maca?
The maca plant, known by its scientific name, Lepidium meyenii, is a type of cruciferous vegetable native to the Andes mountains of Per´´¨ú, where it has been used for thousands of years.
In the Andes, the maca root, sometimes referred to as the Peruvian ginseng, has been an ancient staple utilized as food supplement as well as natural medicine to heal many ailments and hormonal imbalances.
What Are Maca Powder Benefits
Maca is an adaptogen, a unique class of healing plant that naturally helps the body adapt to different stressors, while maintaining its balance.
In simpler terms, it helps your body cope while nourishing it. Here are some of it’s known potential benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants, which help neutralize harmful free radicals, prevent cell damage and fight off chronic disease.
- Rich in vitamins like B6, iron and potassium among others.
- Increases energy naturally without giving you the jitters.
- It may boost libido in males and females.
- It may help improve fertility issues in males and aid hormonal imbalances like the ones caused by menopause.
- It can improve mood and reduce anxiety.
- It may improve memory and brain function.
Maca Latte Recipe Ingredients
To make maca latte all you need is two ingredients, milk and maca powder. We love to build up the flavor and the healing powers of this drink recipe with a few additions.
For specific amounts check the recipe card below.
- Milk: The base of this drink. You can use dairy milk (whole, 2% or fat free milk) or non-dairy milk such as unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, light or regular coconut milk.
- Cream: To add richness and creaminess, we use full fat coconut milk. You can also use dairy products such as half and half or cream.
- Maca Root Powder: Maca has a nutty taste with hints of malt and butterscotch. Choose good quality, organic maca root powder. I usually buy Peruvian premium grade, raw organic maca root powder.
- Ground Cinnamon: Besides adding warmth, aroma and amazing taste, cinnamon spice has many health benefits and is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Sweetener: To keep this recipe vegan and paleo, use maple syrup. Coconut sugar and honey are also good options.
- Turmeric: Add one teaspoon or more.
- Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder: I don’t think I need to convince anyone that chocolate can make things better, right? Add a tablespoon or to taste.
- Cardamon, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper: Adding a pinch of these warming spices will add flavor and complexity to your latte.
- Espresso Shots: I know what you are thinking. Caffeine? Well, sometimes we need a little java in our lives. As an added bonus, espresso has less caffeine than regular coffee.
How to Make Maca Coffee
- Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Don’t boil it.
- With a milk frother or a small whisk, whip the milk to get a nice foamy top (this is optional), then serve.
You have questions? We have answers!
Does Maca Have Caffeine?
No, maca does not contain any caffeine however, it is known to boost energy levels and improve stamina.
Can I Make Maca Latte with Stevia?
Yes, you can make this drink with your preferred sweetener.
What’s the Best Time to Take Maca Root?
Because it may boost energy levels, it’s best to consume maca root powder or any maca products in the morning or early afternoon. It is recommended to take it several hours before going to bed.
How Long It Takes For Maca To Kick In
Maca root powder is highly soluble in water, which means it will rapidly absorb into your body. Some people say they can feel a subtle and natural increase of stamina within 30 minutes.
Do I Have To Use Two Types Of Milk
No. You can use only one type of milk. We only used two types to add a bit of creaminess however, you can make this drink with one single type of dairy-free milk or dairy milk.
Can I Use All Coconut Milk?
Yes, you can use all coconut milk but, I suggest you use canned light coconut milk or refrigerated coconut milk (sold in bottles or cartons by the dairy area) which is lighter in consistency and fat content.
Maca Latte Recipe Tips
- You can double or triple the recipe.
- Make big batches of the dry maca mix ingredients sto have ready to mix with milk. Use coconut sugar instead of liquid sweetener for convenience.
- Experiment by adding other amazing ingredients like ground ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin spice or MCT oil.
- Make it paleo , Keto and whole 30 compliant by using almond milk.
Take A Look At These Other Drink Recipes:
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
- Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- With a milk frother or a small whisk, whip the milk to get a nice foamy top. Serve.
- Easy customizable for Whole 30, paleo, keto and vegan diets