This Ground Beef Stroganoff features lean ground beef and sauteed mushrooms smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy. This easy to make, budget friendly meal is ready in under 30 minutes! Serve it over egg noodles for a fantastic and hearty weeknight meal!
This post appeared first at Princess Pinky Girl where I am a contributor.
This Ground Beef Stroganoff tastes as delicious as classic Beef Stroganoff, however since we are using hamburger meat instead of steak, the dish is made faster and it is much more economical.
This ground beef recipe is perfect for busy days when your time to cook is limited yet you want to enjoy a delicious hearty meal.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
This ground beef stroganoff recipe is made from scratch with fresh ingredients. You won’t believe how easy it is to get this dinner on the table! The silky, creamy and rich mushroom and sour cream sauce is simple yet incredibly delicious. A comfort food dish you will be making over and over again.
What is Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stroganov is a Russian dish made with sautéed beef pieces in a creamy and savory sauce served over egg noodles.
Originating in mid-19th century Russia, there are many versions of stroganoff around the world. The most popular version in the United States is made with mushrooms in a rich and savory sauce made with sour cream.
Ingredients To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Ground Beef – You can use ground chicken, ground turkey or ground pork.
- Onions – Use your favorite kind. I usually use brown or white onions for this dish.
- Mushrooms – For this stroganoff recipe I used white mushrooms. Baby bellas or creminis can be used instead.
- Garlic – Fresh is best for this stroganoff recipe.
- Butter – Unsalted or salted.
- Flour – I use all-purposed flour.
- Mustard – Dijon mustard is perfect for this dish.
- Sour Cream – I use full-fat sour cream because it makes the sauce richer and creamier.
How To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Season the hamburger meat with salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl.
- To make the Stroganoff sauce, in the same skillet melt the butter and cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute, this will help to get rid of any raw flour taste.
- Stir in half the beef broth. When incorporated add the remaining broth, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Return the beef to the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and and simmer.
- Cook your egg noodles.
- To add creaminess and the distinctive taste of beef stroganoff, add the sour cream and simmer on low heat for a few minutes. Make sure the sauce doesn’t boil after adding the sour cream. Boiling the sour cream can cause it to curdle.
- Check for seasoning and serve over hot noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
How To Serve Homemade Beef Stroganoff
Although stroganoff is usually served over egg noodles, you can enjoy this mouthwatering creamy ground beef recipe over zoodles, creamy mashed potatoes, quinoa, steamed rice or polenta.
Tips and Notes About Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Want to bring this Ground Beef Stroganoff to over the top deliciousness? Add some butter to the egg noodles before topping it with the stroganoff.
- I like to use ground chuck for this recipe.
- After browning the hamburger meat, drain any excess fat if needed.
- If you love Stroganoff, take a look at my easy to make Chicken Stroganoff.
- Looking for other budget friendly ground beef recipes?
This Korean Beef and Rice Bowl is easy and definitely family friendly!
Cabbage Roll Soup
Brown Butter Cornbread Tamale Pie
Savory Reuben Meatballs
Mini Taco Beef and Bean Pies
Cheesy Goulash Taco Pasta
WANT TO TRY THIS GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR DINNER BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles for serving
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the dried thyme and cook, breaking the beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until well browned and no longer pink. Transfer the beef to a bowl (drain any excess fat if needed).
- Reduce the heat to medium. To the same skillet add the butter. When the butter is completely melted, add the onions and saute for about 2 minutes minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add the remaining broth, the Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Return the ground beef to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer for about 6 minutes. Add the sour cream and simmer on low heat for about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over hot egg noodles garnished with chopped parsley.
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Leave a Review!