Last updated on April 10th, 2019 at 09:18 pm
This Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms recipe is easy and delicious. Bone-in chicken thighs are pan roasted and smothered in the most delectable creamy mushroom sauce made from scratch (no cream of mushroom soup here!). A simple yet elegant meal perfect for company but also great any day of the week!
I always have bone-in chicken thighs in my freezer. They are always on sale at the market and they have so much more flavor than chicken breasts. One of the things I love about this creamy chicken and mushroom recipe is that is made in one-skillet. No need to get multiple pots and pans dirty. That is always a plus for me as I always end up doing the cooking and the dishes.
How To Pan Roast Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, over medium high heat brown the chicken skin side down first, until golden brown. Turn the chicken and brown the other side for about 3 – 4 minutes
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
How To Make Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- I always pat dry my chicken to make sure I get a nice brown crispy skin. Season the chicken thighs with salt on both sides.
- Mix the flour and spices in a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken, piece by piece in the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet and cook the chicken skin side down first. You don’t want to over crowd the skillet. Cook the chicken in batches or you risk ending up with steamed chicken instead of a having crispy golden-brown chicken. Flip the chicken and cook the other side for about 3 – 4 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate. Repeat until all the chicken is brown, adding extra oil if needed.
- To make the creamy mushroom sauce, melt the butter into the same skillet and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. The mushrooms will soften and get a bit golden on the edges.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil. With a wooden spoon scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet – that is concentrated flavor right there. Add the chicken stock and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover and bake. (Check exact times on the creamy chicken and mushrooms recipe below).
- Remove the skillet from the oven. It’s time to finish the mushroom sauce!
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. With a fork, mash butter and flour together and add it to the skillet. This mixture will thickened the sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes and then stir in the cream – yes, cream! if you are feeling guilty already, you can use Half & Half but – it’s only 1/4 cup of cream so let’s live a little!
- After a quick simmer, I put the chicken back into the skillet and I am ready to eat! Golden brown and juicy chicken thighs smothered in mouthwatering and decadent creamy mushroom sauce – yes please!
- You can use white button mushrooms, creminis, mini bellas or a combination of them.
- Love chicken thighs? Check out this tasty Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs.
- If you want to make this dish gluten free, use GF flour.
- Serve this Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Garlic Mashed Potatoes in the Slow Cooker.
WANT TO TRY THIS CREAMY CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR CHICKEN OR MAIN DISH BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s Chicken with Wild Mushrooms recipe
Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces white button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio work well)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purposed flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season the chicken pieces with salt on both sides.
- In a medium shallow bowl, mix together the flour, garlic powder, ground black pepper and Italian seasoning. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture one by one.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken skin side down first for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the chicken and brown the other side for about 3 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate. You may need to do this in batches not to overcrowd the skillet. Continue until all the chicken is browned adding extra oil if needed.
- In the same skillet melt the butter and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms look soft and a bit golden. Add the white wine and bring to a boil. Cook for about 2 minutes scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add the chicken stock and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the skillet and cover.
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature should reach 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer). Remove from the oven.
- Remove the chicken to a plate. With a fork, mash the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the mixture to the skillet and simmer stirring frequently over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer for about 2 more minutes. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Return the chicken to the pan. Serve hot.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!