This easy Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is the perfect side dish for fall dinners and holidays. Mashed sweet potatoes are seasoned with bourbon and brown butter and topped with a crunchy nuts, salty pretzels and sweet marshmallows topping.
This easy Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is one of our favorite side dishes during the fall and the official Thanksgiving sweet potatoes side dish.
The smooth and creamy sweet potato mash in this yam casserole is seasoned with brown sugar, cinnamon, brown butter and a little bit of bourbon. The mashed sweet potato mixture is so delicious you could serve it as-is for dinner and be extremely happy! It is by itself a fantastic side dish.
The Sweet Potato Casserole topping is made with pretzels, pecans, almonds and mini marshmallows. All the traditional flavors of Thanksgiving sweet potatoes you love with the volume turned up!
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon and Ground ginger
- Pecans and Almonds
- Mini Marshmallows
How Do You Make This Baked Sweet Potato Recipe?
- First, preheat the oven. Prick the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place them on a baking sheet. Roast the yams until tender.
- Make the brown butter by melting the butter in a skillet and cooking it until golden brown. Make sure you swirl the pan occasionally to achieve even cooking.
- Carefully add the bourbon and let it cook for a few minutes. This will burn off the alcohol leaving just the taste of bourbon.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and ginger and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and mash them until smooth. Stir in the brown butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture into a baking dish, then prepare the topping.
- In a skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the pecans, almonds and the pretzels and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the topping all over the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows on top and bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasty and golden brown.
Can I Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
You can freeze the sweet potato layer of the casserole without the topping. Marshmallows and pretzels do not hold well in the freezer. It is best to make the topping when you are ready to bake the casserole.
Can I Make This Sweet Potato Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yes! To make this sweet potato casserole ahead of time, you have a few options:
- Make the sweet potato mash ahead of time and freeze it for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Make the sweet potato layer or mash and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- When ready to bake, remove the casserole from the fridge 30 minutes before baking so the sweet potatoes come to room temperature.
- Place the casserole (without the topping) in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. During this time, prepare the topping.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully (it will be hot) add the topping. Bake as directed in the recipe.
Can I Boil The Sweet Potatoes Instead of Baking Them?
Yes, you can boil the sweet potatoes if you wish. However, I find that roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven brings out their sweetness and intensifies their flavor.
As an added benefit, if you line your sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, the clean-up is minimal.
Tips and Notes
- You can use orange juice instead of bourbon, if you prefer.
- This sweet potato casserole has a perfectly balanced sweet and savory taste. Just like this Candied Sweet Potatoes recipe, this casserole tastes as if you are eating a side dish and a dessert – both at the same time!
- You can use regular sized marshmallows to make this side dish.
- I love serving this amazing side dish with Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Gravy
- Don’t miss these other Thanksgiving favorites:
Best Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Skillet Apple and Sausage Stuffing
Brined and Roasted Turkey
Take A Look At These Other Recipes:
- Skillet Pork Chops (with Port Wine and Cranberry Reduction)
- Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
- Maple Balsamic Glazed Chicken
- Brined and Roasted Turkey
- Maple Oven Roasted Carrots
This post was first published in 2017 and has been updated to provide the reader with additional information. The recipe remains the same!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
For the Sweet Potato Mash
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Topping
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup salted pretzels
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
To Make The Sweet Potato Mash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a fork, prick the sweet potatoes several times and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Cook the butter swirling the pan occasionally to make sure the butter solids brown evenly. The butter will foam at the beginning and then it will start to turn golden brown. Your brown butter is perfectly done when it has a nutty aroma and it's slightly light golden brown in color.
- Carefully add the bourbon to the brown butter and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. This will burn off the alcohol in the bourbon.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and ginger and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and discard the skin. Place the flesh in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or a potato masher, beat or mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Stir in the brown butter mixture and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt, if needed.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture into a 2 Qt. (8 x 11) baking dish.
To Make the Topping
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the nuts and the pretzels and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the topping all over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasty and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- You don’t need to separate (or strain) the brown butter solids from the liquid. You will use both in this recipe.
Leave a Review!