Last updated on November 18th, 2017 at 11:16 am
This Sweet Potato Casserole is seasoned with Bourbon Brown Butter and topped with a sweet, salty, nutty and crunchy topping.
This Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Topping is delicious. Smooth and boozy sweet potatoes are topped with brown sugar coated pecans, almonds, salted pretzels and marshmallows! This casserole is the ultimate side dish for your next get together or holiday party!
When it comes to sweet potatoes, my mom is mypartner in crime! We love them. We usually roast them whole with the skin on and eat them plain out of the oven.
This time however, I wanted to do something a little special. This Sweet Potato Casserole is so tasty. The combination of brown butter, bourbon, brown sugar and spices give the sweet potatoes an amazing nutty flavor without been overpowered by the ingredients.
I think brown butter makes everything taste better – now add some bourbon and brown sugar and you have magic happening right there!
For the topping, I wanted crunchy and nutty as well as sweet and salty. Nuts and pretzels helped me achieved my goal while a few marshmallows brings that nostalgic feeling of old fashioned sweet potato casserole.
As you can see I didn’t add too many marshmallows. I wanted a few sweet, melty, gooey surprises here and there instead of goo covering all the crunch and saltiness of the pretzels.
- I use a potato masher to mash my potatoes. I like a rustic feel instead of high-end restaurant perfection when it comes to any mashed potato. Mash them while hot for best results.
- Mini marshmallows get quite toasty while in the oven. Feel free to use regular size marshmallows if you like yours gooey but not so golden.
- Although I called this dish boozy, the alcohol gets cooked off so you end up with a mild bourbon taste without any alcohol left.
- Add some ground cayenne pepper to the topping for some heat!
- Bring this dish to your next potluck or serve it at home with these amazing dishes:
Herb Crusted Pork Chops with Apple and Maple Bourbon Glaze
Miso Glazed Salmon
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
Brined and Roasted Turkey (Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas)
WANT TO TRY THIS SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE?
PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR HOLIDAY BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Topping
For the Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit .
- Prick the potatoes several times with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally to achieve even cooking. The butter will foam and then it will start to turn golden brown. Your brown butter is perfectly done when it has a nutty aroma and is toast-brown in color.
- Carefully add the bourbon and let it cook for 2 - 3 minutes. You want to reduce it a bit (this will burn the alcohol off).
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and ginger and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and discard the skin. Place the flesh in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or a potato masher, beat or mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Fold in the butter/sugar mixture and mix well to combine. Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture into a 8 x 11 baking dish.
To Make the Topping
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter. Add the sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Fold in the nuts and the pretzels and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the topping all over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top and bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasty and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Things You May Need