This Mexican Wedding Cookies recipe makes melt-in-your-mouth buttery soft pecan cookies rolled in sweet powdered sugar. These are the most irresistible holiday cookies ever!
This recipe is sponsored by Millican Pecans. As always opinions are 100% mine.
Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe
These Mexican cookies are truly one of my favorite cookies of all time. They always make their appearance during the holidays, but these delicious cookies are wonderful any time of the year!
Interestingly enough, these buttery, nutty and crumbly shortbread-style Mexican wedding cookies go by a lot of different names. You may have heard of the following:
- Snowball Cookies
- Russian Tea Cakes
- Swedish Tea Cakes
- Italian Wedding Cookies
- Viennese Sugar Balls
- Pecan Balls
- Sand Tarts
What Are Mexican Wedding Cookies
This easy to make Mexican Wedding Cookies recipe is made with only 6 ingredients. The cookie dough is made without a binding agent like eggs or leavening agents like baking powder. They are soft and crumbly like tea cakes and rolled in lots of powdered sugar!
Are Mexican wedding cookies really Mexican? That is a mystery to me! Some historians think these cookies come from the middle east while others say they are from Russia. Either way, these snowball cookies are beyond delicious!
Mexican Wedding Cookies Ingredients
- Vanilla Extract
- All-purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Pecans (I use Millican Pecans)
How To Make Mexican Wedding Cookies
Detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out dough and roll it out into balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While warm, roll them in powdered sugar and transfer them to a separate plate.
- Wait until cool, then roll them in powdered sugar once again to generously coat them.
Yes! Although pecans are my favorite nut to make these wedding cookies, finely chopped walnuts or almonds can be used.
How To Store These Snowball Cookies
Store these delicious wedding cookies in an airtight container for 3 days. The powder sugar will most likely be absorbed by the cookie dough. Don’t worry, they will still be delicious. For presentation purposes, dust them with powder sugar if you wish.
Can I Freeze Mexican Wedding Cookies
Yes, these decadent cookies freeze well. Here are two options for freezing these cookies:
- Make the cookie dough and roll them into balls. Place them on a sheet pan and freeze them for about 45 minutes. Remove from the freezer, place the frozen cookie dough balls in a resealable freezer storage bag or airtight container and freeze for 2 months.
- Bake the cookies and roll them in powder sugar. Cool them completely and freeze them in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe Tips
- Chop the pecans very finely. You can do this by hand or in a food processor
- Roll the cookies in powder sugar while they are still warm and then again when cool.
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Mexican Wedding Cookies (Russian Tea Cakes)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the flour, powdered sugar and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Mix in the chopped pecans. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Scoop out dough and roll it out into 1-inch balls. Place the cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet. They don’t expand so they don’t need a lot of space in between them.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven and wait just until they are cool enough to handle but still warm. Roll them in powdered sugar and transfer them to a separate plate. Wait until cool, then roll them in powdered sugar once again to generously coat.
- When completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container.
Tuesday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Butter Pecan Icebox Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Chocolate Cake Mix Snickerdoodles by Family Around the Table
- Caramel Cashew Cookies by Making Miracles
- Dark Chocolate Orange Biscotti by Sweet Beginnings
- Fruit Cake Cookies with Rum Glaze by Books n’ Cooks
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Kołaczki Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Raspberry White Chocolate Pecan Christmas Cookies by Our Sutton Place
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.
Rafflecopter: a Rafflecopter giveaway