Last updated on October 10th, 2018 at 06:50 pm
These Double Chocolate Waffles a la Mode are the perfect breakfast for any occasion. Very easy to make, not too sweet and full of chocolate decadence!
Chocolate and ice cream for breakfast? Yes please! These Double Chocolate Waffles a La Mode are sure to make your kids and all the adults in your family super happy!
This weekend my oldest son and I decided to start the valentine’s celebration a little early. Since valentine’s day is on a Tuesday this year, we made a special breakfast during the weekend for all to enjoy.
We wanted to do something with chocolate and berries and special enough that would allow ice cream to be a part of breakfast! In other words, we wanted to give my youngest child the breakfast of his dreams! All his favorite foods on one plate! I’m glad to say we succeeded!!
Double Chocolate Waffles a la Mode
These waffles are actually very easy to make and they take no time to put together. The batter has both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Use good quality cocoa for best results.
One of the things we like about these Double Chocolate Waffles a la Mode is that they are not extremely sweet so you can actually go all out with the toppings. We served them dusted with confectioner’s sugar, topped with vanilla ice cream (of course), drizzled with chocolate sauce, topped with fresh berries and some homemade whipped cream. It was truly perfect!
- In the recipe, you will be instructed to mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl and all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then they get mixed to form a batter. After that, you will whip egg whites into soft peaks. It is important that when you add them into the batter you incorporate them gently. You want to keep the fluffiness of the whites!
- Need other breakfast ideas?
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes with Maple Pecan Butter
Cream Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin French Toast Bake
Baked Cinnamon French Toast Muffins
My favorite oldest child in the photo above, did an excellent job whisking those egg whites (feel free to use an electric mixer). I just thought it would be fun to make him work extra hard – he he!
Double Chocolate Waffles a la Mode
For the Double Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups all-purposed flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- About 1 pint of fresh berries
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Chocolate Sauce (optional)
- Homemade Whip Cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add the butter and chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until combine. Do not overmix!
- Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Spray the grates with cooking spray to prevent the waffles from sticking.
- Add batter in each grate (about ¼ cup on each), close and cook for about 5 minutes or until crispy and cook through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, dust with confectioner’s sugar, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, garnish with berries. You can drizzle some chocolate sauce and top with whip cream if desire.