Last updated on March 11th, 2019 at 11:20 am
This Double Chocolate Waffles Recipe is easy and makes delicious decadent chocolate waffles! These waffles are light and crispy on the outside, fluffy and full of rich chocolate on the inside.
Homemade waffles, especially Belgian waffles are such a classic and tasty breakfast treat, but if you are looking for breakfast ideas to elevate the most important meal of the day to new delicious heights, this Double Chocolate Waffles recipe is going to blow your mind!
Want the perfect excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast? Make these Waffles extra special and serve them A La Mode!
Double Chocolate Waffles Recipe
- These waffles are made with buttermilk, just like buttermilk waffles. I don’t have a substitution for the buttermilk as I have not tested this recipe without it.
- To make these chocolate waffles rich, decadent and loaded with chocolate flavor, I use both cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- These homemade waffles get their light and fluffy texture from whipping eggs whites until soft peaks and folding them gently into the batter. This is an extra step that makes all the difference. You can whip the egg whites by hand or by using a hand held mixer.
How To Make Waffles
- Homemade waffles are so easy to make. First combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl,
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Mix in the melted butter and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- With a spatula, gently fold the fluffy egg whites into the batter. You want to keep the whipped egg whites airy.
- Always preheat your waffle iron. The waffle iron must be hot or your waffles can turn out soggy.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray to prevent the batter from sticking.
One of the things I like about these amazingly delicious Double Chocolate Waffles is that they are not extremely sweet. This is great if you love toppings as much as I do! Here are some of our favorites toppings:
- Vanilla Ice Cream (because Double Chocolate Waffles A La Mode is just the thing to do! Ice cream for breakfast never sounded better!)
- Fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
- Chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce.
- Whipped Cream
- Warm maple syrup.
- A dusting of Confectioner’s sugar.
- Peanut butter
- Andrew’s Favorite: Vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles and a cherry on top!
How To Freeze Waffles
Keep your freezer stocked with a batch of homemade waffles to make busy mornings a breeze!
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the waffles on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove the waffles from the freezer and place them in freezer safe ziptop bags.
- Freeze for 2 to 3 months (although I can guarantee they won’t last that long!).
How To Reheat Waffles
- You can reheat frozen or refrigerated waffles in a toaster oven or in an oven set to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Don’t reheat the waffles in the microwave if you want to keep them crispy.
- Because of the chocolate chips in this recipe, I don’t recommend heating the double chocolate waffles in a regular toaster. The chocolate chips around the surface can melt, making a huge mess inside the toaster.
Kathy’s Tips and Notes
- These rich and decadent Double Chocolate Waffles are the perfect breakfast treat to serve on special occasions like birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day and Easter! Although I must admit, I am always willing to jump out of bed to make these amazing chocolate waffles any day of the week!
- Here are some other mouthwatering breakfast ideas:
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes with Maple Pecan Butter
Cream Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin French Toast Bake
Baked Cinnamon French Toast Muffins
Nutella French Toast Roll Ups
Raspberry Sweet Rolls
Things You May Need
WANT TO TRY THIS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE WAFFLES RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST OR BRUNCH BOARD TO MAKE IT LATER!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Double Chocolate Waffles Recipe
For the Double Chocolate Waffles
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add the melted butter and chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until combine. Do not overmix!
- Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Spray the grates with cooking spray to prevent the waffles from sticking.
- Add batter in each grate (about ¼ cup on each), close and cook for about 5 minutes or until crispy and cook through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with your toppings of choice.
Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay’s “Brunch at Bobby’s” cookbook
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!