These Oven Roasted Chickpeas are crispy, tasty and highly addictive. Serve them as a healthy snack or as a salad or soup topping. These perfectly seasoned roasted garbanzo beans are vegan and gluten free!
What are Chickpeas?
The chickpea is a nutty-tasting legume and one of the oldest consumed crops in the world. Also known as garbanzo or garbanzo bean. They are very popular in many global cuisines and one of the main ingredient in hummus.
What are the Health Benefits of Chickpeas
- Improves digestion due to their high fiber content.
- It’s a great source of plant-based protein.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- Increases satiety (it makes you feel full longer) and promotes weight loss.
- They are a good source of vitamin and minerals.
- They are a heart healthy food.
How To Roast Chickpeas
There is really not much to roasted chickpeas! The process is so simple it really doesn’t require a recipe (although I am giving you one).
- This recipe uses canned chickpeas. Whether you use home cooked or canned chickpeas, you must drain them and dry them well. Place the drained chickpeas between two kitchen towels (paper towels can be used) and dry them as much as possible by rolling them between the towels gently.
- You don’t need to peel them off however, some of the skins may come off while rubbing them. Just discard them.
- Place the dried chickpeas on a baking sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up). Add olive oil and season with salt, spices and/or herbs.
- Roast them in a 400 degrees oven for 50 to 60 minutes and enjoy!
Other Flavoring Ideas
When it comes to flavoring these roasted chickpeas the sky is the limit! Here are a few suggestions (all use olive oil + salt )
- Garlic powder, ground ginger, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Chopped fresh rosemary, lemon zest and garlic powder.
- Chili powder, ground cumin and lime zest.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Curry powder, turmeric, paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Cinnamon, brown sugar and maple syrup
WANT TO TRY THESE CRISPY OVEN ROASTED CHICKPEAS?
PIN IT TO YOUR SNACK OR VEGETARIAN BOARD!!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well with water. Drain them well. Place the drained chickpeas between two kitchen towels (paper towels can be used) and dry them as much as possible by rolling them between the towels gently. Some of the skins may come off. Just discard them.
- Place the chickpeas on a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Sprinkle with the cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper and toss to combine.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until crispy and golden, shaking the sheet pan at around halfway through the cooking process. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Best eaten the same day but will last for about 3-4 days at room temperature.
- You can cut the salt amount if you wish. You can always add more after baking them (If needed, add extra salt while the chickpeas are still hot).
KEEP IN TOUCH AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!