This Coca Cola Cake recipe is a decadent and moist Southern chocolate sheet cake made with cola and topped with the absolute best warm chocolate frosting. This Coca Cola Cake is one of the easiest dessert recipes to make and a popular cake that everyone loves.
Coca Cola cake is very similar to Texas Sheet Cake with the addition of cola in the cake batter and the frosting. Coke Cake is simple yet an indulgent and delicious dessert for all chocolate lovers. Light and fluffy with the most decadent glossy chocolate frosting, this is seriously the absolute best chocolate sheet cake recipe and one you will be making again and again.
Coca Cola Cake
This recipe for Coca Cola cake is made from scratch with a simple cake batter made in a single mixing bowl. The batter is then baked in a jelly roll pan and topped with creamy chocolate frosting. I like to sprinkle the top with chopped pecans to add a little bit of crunch. The nuts are optional but add great texture to the tender and fluffy cake.
Coke Cake Ingredients
Cola Cake Batter
- Cola: You can use any spicy cola soft drink such as Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper and even root beer.
- Oil: Vegetable or canola oil.
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Baking Soda and Salt
- Eggs: I use large eggs.
- Vanilla Extract
Coca Cola Chocolate Frosting
- Butter: I prefer unsalted butter but salted works.
- Unsweetened Chocolate
- Powder Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Toasted Pecans (optional)
How To Make Coca Cola Cake From Scratch
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring the cola, oil and unsweetened cocoa to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until blended.
- Add the warm soft drink mixture. Whisk in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour batter into a lightly greased jelly-roll pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
To Make The Chocolate Frosting
- Heat butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in milk and soft drink until blended.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and sugar dissolves.
- Pour over warm cake, spreading gently to edges. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
I use a baking sheet that is 17 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches.
Although I have not tested this recipe in a 9 x 13 pan, I think it could be made in that size pan however, it will require a longer baking time.
Can I Use Other Types Of Cola Beverages?
To make this amazing chocolate sheet pan cake, you can use the classic coca cola or any other dark cola like Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and even root beer.
Storage and Freezing
- You can store this cake covered at room temperature for 2-3 days. It can also be refrigerated for about 5 days.
- This cake freezes well. Wrap tightly and freeze for up to 2 months.
Coca Cola Cake Facts
In 1997 the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain came up with their own version of this cake, they added more chocolate to intensify the taste and they called it Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake.
Coca Cola Cake Recipe Tips
- Try using Dr. Pepper, cherry cola or root beer.
- For a super smooth frosting, sift the powdered sugar.
- Measure the flour and cocoa powder by the spoon and level method for best results and moistness.
Take A Look At These Other Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Poke Cake
- Carrot cake with Orange Grand Marnier
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Raspberry Muffins
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Coca Cola Cake
- 1 ½ cups cola soft drink such as Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups toasted pecans chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 17 1/2 by 12 1/2 inch jelly-roll pan.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the cola, oil and unsweetened cocoa to a boil, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, both sugars, baking soda and salt until blended; then add the warm soft drink mixture. Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour batter into the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Make the Frosting
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter and chocolate stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the milk and the soft drink until blended. Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over the warm cake, spreading gently to the edges. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cool completely before serving.