This Skillet Cookie, also known as Pizookie – is chewy with golden crispy edges, a soft center and loaded with chocolate chips! This easy to make chocolate chip cookie bakes in a single skillet and can be served warm right from the oven!
This Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is the perfect treat to serve at your next party or anytime you have chocolate cravings! (That’s every night for me).
This post was first published on Princess Pinky Girl where I am a contributor!
This skillet cookie recipe, although made from scratch, is simple and easy to make. Instead of forming individual cookies, press the cookie dough into a cast iron skillet and bake. The result is one giant, melt in your mouth, thick and decadent cookie chock full of gooey chocolate.
To take things to the next level of deliciousness, top the warm cookie with creamy ice cream and enjoy the most heavenly dessert ever!
Hi, everyone! It’s Kathy from Lemon Blossoms. I’m so excited to share with you this amazing and simple recipe sure to become your next favorite pizza cookie, or pizookie, or skillet cookie! No matter how you want to call it, I promise this is the best chocolate chip cookie!
What is a Pizookie?
A pizookie is a cookie, shaped like a pizza, baked in a skillet and served warm straight out of the oven! Top it with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and fresh berries, slice it like a pizza and enjoy gooey chocolate chip cookie heaven!
Equipment Needed To Make This Cookie in a Skillet
- An electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer.
- A 10-inch cast iron skillet or an oven-safe skillet. You can also use a 9-inch skillet or a 12-inch skillet however, baking times will need to be adjusted. In a 12-inch skillet, the dough will be spread thinner than in a smaller skillet so less baking time will be required. In a 9-inch skillet, the baking time will be a bit longer than instructed in the recipe below.
Skillet Cookie Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Espresso Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How To Make This Skillet Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet or an oven-safe skillet with cooking spray.
In an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
On low speed, add the eggs, vanilla extract and espresso powder. Beat until well combined.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture.
Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips are evenly disbursed. The cookie dough will be thick!
Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, spread the cookie dough evenly into the prepared skillet.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set in the center and lightly golden brown on the top.
Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Serve as is or with your favorite toppings!
Tips and Notes
- If you don’t have espresso powder, you can skip it!
- You can also use milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- If you only have salted butter, use it and only add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- You can make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate it or freeze it for later use.
- Did you know that espresso powder has less caffeine than regular coffee? If you worry about the caffeine from the espresso powder in this recipe, know that you are using only 1 teaspoon of espresso powder for a giant cookie that serves 8 (or more). Espresso brings out the chocolate flavor in any chocolate dessert.
- Check out these Fudgy and Nutty Double Chocolate Cookies!
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purposed flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (one 12-ounces bag)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Fresh Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet or an oven-safe skillet with cooking spray.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (see notes), beat the butter on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- On low speed, add the eggs, vanilla extract and espresso powder. Beat until well combined. Scrape down the bowl again with a rubber spatula.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Don’t over beat! With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips are evenly disbursed.
- Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, spread the cookie dough evenly into the prepared skillet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set in the center and lightly golden brown on the top.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool slightly for about 10 minutes before serving. Top with ice cream and other toppings, if desired.
The dough will be thick.