This easy to make Tex Mex inspired BBQ Chicken Quesadilla with Smoked Gouda Cheese is packed with super flavorful chicken and gooey cheese. Served with a delicious and fruity pineapple salsa and topped with a spicy and smoky Chipotle Crema! Let’s sum all that up in one word ~ Amazing!
One of the best things about quesadillas – besides the warm gooey cheese, is the fact that quesadillas are quick and easy to make, so having dinner on the table in no time doesn’t seem like an impossible task. Especially on busy weeknights.
This BBQ Chicken Quesadilla with Smoked Gouda, Pineapple Salsa and Chipotle Crema is also fabulous enough to serve as an appetizer. You can make it ahead of time and reheat it in the oven. When ready to serve, cut it into smaller triangles and wow your guests!
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla with Smoked Gouda
The chicken in this recipe is super flavorful. You season boneless and skinless chicken breast with a spice mixture of 3 common ingredients. I can almost bet you already have the ingredients in your kitchen cabinet. After quickly searing the chicken, you mix it with your favorite bottled BBQ sauce and you are done! The tastiest chicken ever!!
I use a combination of 2 cheeses. I like the smokiness of the Gouda, but I added the Monterrey Jack because I didn’t want the Smoke Gouda to overpower and mask every other flavor in the quesadilla. If you are not a fan of smoked Gouda, feel free to only use one type of cheese.
- If you are pressed for time, you can always use store bought pineapple salsa.
- The chicken is tasty, a bit spicy and bold. I recommend you use original style BBQ sauce. “The Devil’s Spit” type sauce may be a bit too much for this recipe (my son loves that BBQ sauce name, hehehe).
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas & inspiration! Pinterest Facebook Instagram My Newsletter
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla with Smoked Gouda, Pineapple Salsa and Chipotle Crema
For the Quesadillas
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 3 tablespoons oil (olive, canola or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cups BBQ sauce
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about half a lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (plus a bit of the adobo, about 1 teaspoon or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To Make the Salsa
- Gently mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Season with salt to taste. Keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make The Chipotle Crema
- In a small bowl mix together the sour cream, lime juice, chipotle chiles, the adobo sauce and salt until well blended. Check for seasoning. Set aside.
(If making ahead of time, keep refrigerated).
For the Quesadillas
- To prepare the chicken, in a small bowl mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle cut into bite size pieces.
Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
- On a flat surface lay 6 tortillas. Divide the 2 types of cheese and chicken among the tortillas. Place another tortilla on top and press down to flatten the mixture.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add a bit of oil (about a teaspoon). Place a filled tortilla in the pan, pressing down with a spatula. Cook until golden brown and crisp. Flip the tortilla and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat until all the quesadillas are cooked. Transfer to a plate and cut them into triangles.
- Serve the quesadillas with the pineapple salsa and the chipotle crema.
Cut them into triangles before serving.
Leave a Review!