The Best Sauteed Green Beans
Easy to make Sauteed Green Beans (string beans) with garlic, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese and pistachios is a simple and tasty side dish perfect for weeknight meals, dinner parties and holiday meals.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, shelled and chopped slightly
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. (3 qts of water and 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt). Prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl with cold water (tap water is OK) and some ice.
Add the trimmed green beans to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer the green beans to the iced water. Allow the beans to sit in the iced water for 4-5 minutes. Drain.
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and saute stirring often for about 1 - 2 minutes or until the garlic and zest become fragrant. Don't allow the garlic to brown.
Add the green beans to the pan and stir well. Saute, turning frequently for about 2 - 3 minutes.
Stir in the pistachios and Parmesan cheese. Saute for about 2 minutes, tossing frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- Don't allow the garlic to get brown. You can turn the heat to medium if needed.
- Blanching green beans preserves their texture and color producing crisp-tender green beans.
- f you want to skip the blanching process, I suggest you steam the green beans as follows: Add 1/4 cup of broth to the skillet or saute pan. Add the green beans and cover the the pan with a lid. Steam the string beans over medium-high heat until they turn bright green and are crisp tender (you don't want to over cook them as they will be saute after). Drain them and remove them from the saute pan. Do not keep them covered. Then, proceed with the recipe as written.
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 193mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 545IU | Vitamin C: 11.3mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 0.9mg