Papas con Chorizo
Papas con Chorizo combines the bold flavors of Mexican sausage with tender potatoes in a versatile and simple recipe that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner! A staple of Mexican cuisine, this 3-ingredients dish can be ready in 30 minutes!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled cut into ½ inch cubes (red potatoes , yukon gold or russet work well)
- 10-12 ounces Mexican chorizo casings removed
- 1/3 cup diced onions yellow or brown
- Ground black pepper to taste.
- Queso fresco, corn tortillas, flour tortillas, sliced jalapeños, fried egg, shredded cheese
Place potatoes in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them by about two inches (about 6 cups). Add a tablespoon of salt and stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes become tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain but don’t rinse. Return them to the hot pot and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add the chorizo and cook stirring frequently breaking up the clumps, until the chorizo is cooked through and fat has rendered. About 7 minutes.
Add the onions and cook, stirring often until the onions become soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. The chorizo should be a bit crisp at this point.
Add the potatoes and gently stir to combine so the chorizo coats the potatoes. Cook for about 3-5 minutes tossing frequently. If needed, add a bit of olive oil or vegetable oil to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Some of my favorite chorizo brands are Cacique, El Mexicano and Ranchero.
- Cured Spanish chorizo won’t work in this recipe.
- Don’t season the the dish until the end. Some chorizo brands are saltier and/or spicier than others.
- If preferred, use vegetarian chorizo. Follow the package instructions for cooking as cooking time may vary from regular chorizo.
Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.03g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.05g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.003g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 490mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg