Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melts
Buttery and toasty bread with an incredibly gooey and delicious filling. This easy Spinach and Artichoke Dip Cheese Melt is everything a grilled cheese sandwich should be and then some!! The addition of peperoncini adds brightness and zing to this delicious sandwich!
Servings 6 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for spreading on the sandwiches
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta peperoncini, chopped finely
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (15-ounces) can artichoke hearts, cut into big chunks, gently squeezed from its liquid
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 6 ounces mozarella cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces triple cheddar, shredded (you can use any combination of cheddar cheese or just sharp cheddar)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 bread slices, country white or regular white
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes or until the onions are soft and become translucent making sure your heat is low enough not to burn the garlic.
Add the peperoncini and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese, mixing well until melted and well combined.
Add the artichoke hearts, spinach, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Cook stirring often for about 4 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. You can place a lid over the skillet to help the spinach wilt quickly and evenly. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Add the mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses to the spinach mixture stirring well to combine.
Spread butter to one side of each bread slice. Spread about 1/3 cup of the spinach/cheese mixture to the non buttered side of a bread slice. Top with a slice of bread - butter side up.
Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches, in batches, until they are golden brown and crispy on each side and the filling is warmed through and melted about 6 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.
Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 951mg | Potassium: 405mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4315IU | Vitamin C: 15.7mg | Calcium: 544mg | Iron: 3.4mg