Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
Shrimp Alfredo is packed with tender shrimp in a rich, creamy and cheesy garlic Parmesan sauce. This restaurant quality meal is impressive, easy to make and one of our favorite pasta recipes!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 12 ounces fettuccine or any pasta of your choice
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined, tails on or off
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish - optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or chopped basil.
Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions.
Rinse and pat dry the shrimp. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side or until the shrimp turns pink. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the remaining butter to the skillet. When the butter is melted, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any brown bits. You want the garlic to become aromatic but not to brown .
Whisk in the heavy cream and add the nutmeg. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until just thickened.
Turn the heat to low and whisk in the Parmesan cheese, stirring continuously, until the cheese has melted. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the pasta reserving about 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Add the shrimp and the pasta to the skillet and toss well. You want to toss the pasta for 1 to 2 minutes so it has time to absorb the sauce. If the pasta gets a bit dry, add some of the reserved cooking pasta liquid.
Sprinkle with parsley or basil and serve immediately topped with some extra Parmesan cheese (optional).
- Don't overcook the shrimp. Cook the shrimp only until it becomes pink and opaque.
- If your sauce seems a bit thin when you are tossing it with the pasta, don't worry. While you toss, the pasta absorbs the Parmesan sauce flavor and also releases some of its starch.
- If your pasta seems dry, add some of the pasta water and toss.
- Nutrition facts are only an estimate and will vary depending on the brand of products used.
Calories: 1154kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 75g | Saturated Fat: 45g | Cholesterol: 527mg | Sodium: 1508mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2683IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 683mg | Iron: 4mg