Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
This Chicken Pesto Pasta is loaded with juicy tender chicken smothered in a delicious Creamy Pesto Parmesan Sauce. This easy Chicken Pesto Pasta is guaranteed to become a family favorite!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounces basil pesto
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces pasta *See notes
- Chopped basil for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain.
While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the flour and toss to coat.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes or until browned, Add extra oil, if needed. Remove from the skillet and reserve.
To the same skillet, add the butter and saute the onions for about 3 - 4 minutes or until they become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
Deglaze the skillet by adding the chicken broth. Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove the brown bits. Bring to a boil. Stir in the pesto and lower the heat. Add the Half and Half and garlic powder. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
Return the chicken and any collected juices to the skillet and toss to coat. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
Add the cooked pasta and toss gently. Add some of the cooking water only if a creamier consistency is desired. Serve warm garnished with chopped basil (optional).
- Any short pasta like rigatoni, ziti, and penne work well.
- Creamy pastas should be served immediately to prevent them from getting dry. However, you can use some of the cooking water to make the pasta creamier again if it dries out.
- Nutrition information provided is an estimate and may vary depending on the brand of ingredients you use.
Calories: 557kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 922mg | Potassium: 454mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1360IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 234mg | Iron: 1.4mg