White Chicken Chili Recipe
This White Chicken Chili recipe is loaded with tender chicken, white beans, green chiles, corn and spices simmered in a delicious creamy broth. This creamy White Chicken Chili is rich, hearty and delicious!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 (14-ounces) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounces) cans great Northern beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro plus more for serving
- 1 green onion, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- avocado slices
- Monterrey Jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
Place the chicken in a medium bowl and season it with salt and pepper to taste and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Set aside.
OPTIONAL STEP: Measure out 1/2 cup of beans and mash them with a fork or food masher. You can also place them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of chicken broth (or water) and blend them with an immersion blender or food processor. This mixture makes the chili extra creamy.
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently for about 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is lightly brown on the outside. (See Note 1). Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the green chiles, cumin, paprika, chili powder, oregano and cayenne, if using.
Stir in the chicken broth, the beans (whole and mashed - See Note 2) and the corn and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Whisk in the cream cheese until the cheese is incorporated. Stir in the half and half and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, cilantro and green onions and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with the toppings of your choice.
- NOTE 1: The chicken should be almost fully cooked at this point however, the chicken will continue to cook in the soup so don't worry if it is still slightly pink inside.
- NOTE 2: Mashing some of the beans is an optional step however, it makes the chili extra creamy. Add all of the beans to the chili in this step.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 491mg | Potassium: 868mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 484IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 3mg