Blueberry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
Tender Blueberry Coffee Cake loaded with fresh blueberries, with a hint of lemon and topped with a buttery sweet crumb topping. This delicious and moist coffee cake is perfect for breakfast served with a nice cup of coffee or served as dessert.
Servings 8 servings
For the Cake:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/4 cup fresh blueberries
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
To Make The Crumb Topping
Combine the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and butter in a bowl. blend well with a pastry blender, a fork, or your fingers to form crumbs. Set aside
To Make The Cake
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for about 4 - 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
With the speed on low, add the eggs one at a time and mix to combine. Add the vanilla. lemon zest and sour cream and mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. With a spatula, gently fold in the blueberries until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the topping crumbs evenly over the batter.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and serve.
- The cake batter is thick and will prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the cake. There is no need to coat the blueberries with flour.
- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. Room temperature eggs mixed with the butter-sugar mixture create a nice emulsion and produce baked cakes with an even crumb.
- Add the eggs one by one, and mix just until each egg is nicely incorporated and the mixture looks smooth. Don't over mix!
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 840IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2.1mg